Independent Owners language options

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
Zoot

Independent Owners language options

Post by Zoot »

Because of the number of enquiries, and bookings, we've had from mainland Europe this year I'm thinking of going for the language options on our IO based website. Has anyone using IO done this and how accurate are the translations? Any feedback from visitors etc?
Many thanks, Z
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

I paid for the IO language options (also have no-ads and optimisation). I didn't use their translation services though.
Basically if you pay for languages it gives you extra pages 'behind' each of your English pages, which you access via a tab at the top for English, German, etc. Initially they are blank (or possibly mirror the English - I cant remember) and you translate them yourself. I've only activated French & German. I did my translations based on a combination of google and a dictionary. I know I must have many errors, but hope the meaning is more or less OK :)

I do remember seeing another IO site with language pages, can't remember which, but even I could tell that the translations were very strange - don't know whether that was autogenerated or not.

I have had some German guests since doing the German version but no feedback from visitors about the website.

One thing that does irritate me though is that the language pages aren't included in the optimisation, so eg they won't include them on the site map etc
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

I went for the language versions originally for both B&B and rental but have abandoned them and the SEO for now as I am not convinced that they were doing anything for me. I did the Spanish and French translations and had them proof-read/edited for me by natives. I have dropped them and the SEO as I am looking for other solutions. I find that hardly anyone ever clicks through from websites - maybe a small handful every month on Homelidays - but there is enough info on the Homelidays page plus 14 images that the website is a bit redundant for people finding me on there. When I get a reply I direct them to the gallery page of the site for lots more pix if they are not English. I am not convinced that the SEO was really doing it for me at all.

I don't know how they do the translations if you go for their service but if it is done via google translate or similar I would definitely not use it but find someone to do it for me if I could not do it myself.
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
judyc

Post by judyc »

On a slightly different tack, I have twice asked IO if there is any chance of having a Dutch page. In our area of South West France, we rarely see visitors from either Italy or
Spain, and German visitors are rare so those translations are not something I would contemplate.

We do however have so many holidaymakers from Holland and I would love the chance to have a Dutch translation, but so far this seems to be impossible for them to add.

If anybody else thinks a Dutch page would be helpful, perhaps they could also promote the idea with IO!
Zoot

Post by Zoot »

Thanks for those helpful responses.
Probably like most people with IO I see our site as merely a showcase to refer people to and not as a primary contact. I think I shall give it a go particularly for the French market as the FR sites I'm on are rather restricted in the amount of info and pix space available.