Late cancellation due to bereavement

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Giles wrote: I have been really surprised at how successfully you can turn round situations in business that seem irretrievable at the time, if you are firm, fair and friendly (even if you suspect they are trying to take you for a ride and you're dying to be sarcastic).
Wise words. I wasn't in the business world before (unless you call the blunt end of the NHS "business") so I was a bit of an innocent abroad when I entered this industry.

You'll do well Giles! :D
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Windy

Post by Windy »

Only just read this thread as I have been on holiday seeing things from the other side for a change.

Whilst I was away last week I got an email from a future guest whose Dad has terminal cancer and who has, sadly, suddenly deteriorated. Ther stay is due next weekend.

He wrote:
Given the situation and after long conversations we were wondering if it was possible to move the booking to another date.

I really don't want to cancel, we may well still be able to come on those dates depending on his health next week, I'm keeping my fingers crossed we can still come.

However I wanted to discuss with you sooner rather than later if it was an option to move it rather than worry about being up there at this time.

I'm sure you get many excuses for cancellations, this is not dramatised nor an excuse. It is genuine and I suppose I could find a way of proving it if you needed.

Failing that can you suggest any other alternative to move the dates?, I don't mind paying extra to move it.

I realise its late notice but its unforeseen and out of my control. I also see it from your side and have read the terms and conditions but am hoping you can help us out.
This person comes across as genuine and very realistic and immediately got my sympathy and a positive reaction. I am afraid that the email quoted in the post at the start of this thread rang a totally different set of bells in my head. It is interesting to compare the two isn't it.
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Yes, very interesting, Windy... and so, so different.

Despite what he's going through, he's seeing it all not only from his point of view, but also yours; he's acknowledged your terms and conditions and yet written you a lovely, courteous email that makes you just want to accommodate the situation as best you can.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Yes, absolutely. What a contrast as you say KC.
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

kendalcottages wrote:Yes, very interesting, Windy... and so, so different.

Despite what he's going through, he's seeing it all not only from his point of view, but also yours; he's acknowledged your terms and conditions and yet written you a lovely, courteous email that makes you just want to accommodate the situation as best you can.
Indeed, a really good example of how to get the owner on your side, and one which would definitely pull me in the right direction. However my second thought is that it is possible that the guest of the OP is just not as good a writing a decent letter particularly if the circumstances are genuine.

One could easily go round the houses all year on this one :roll:
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

pepsipuss wrote:However my second thought is that it is possible that the guest of the OP is just not as good a writing a decent letter particularly if the circumstances are genuine.

One could easily go round the houses all year on this one :roll:
At least one member of the family might have identified the little problem of not being insured (if they weren't) and surely together they could have worked on the email; they must have realised that this was a big "ask" they were making Jenny. Or am I being naive? :?

Yes PP - round the houses and if as you say, the problem was genuine, I imagine one of them said "I will sort it" and was left to get on with it while others made funeral arrangements etc.
Jennywren

Post by Jennywren »

During the 5 years of letting Calais View, I have had few late cancellations, but have managed to relet in all cases and have refunded all guests in full. I found this email a little irritating and sought advice from LMH as I wondered if I were being a bit hard-nosed due to her cool and somewhat demanding attitude. I felt I wasn't being fair or compassionate given the circumstances, I also wondered if she were using bereavement as the most likely way of obtaining a full refund. We are not seeing a profit yet as set-up costs, high interest rates on borrowing and the day to day running costs leave very little. Our one bedroomed unit is a means of our being able to afford to live in our house in retirement. A loss of £190 at this late stage would have to come out of my part-time earned income as receptionist. I think the tone of her email would have made such a difference, though it shouldn't as we all grieve differently.

I offered an extra couple of days to the guests who were following Nicola, they have decided to extend their stay which has raised £100 towards Nicola's refund - I know she won't be happy with that. We were fully booked until mid Nov and have been booked for a while, so I feel sure that this break would have been booked by another.

Nicola's email was delivered with my last email to her still attached. Mine was short, friendly and welcoming which made me more suspicious she was trying it on.

Good Morning

With regret I need to cancel my booking for next weekend please.

We have suffered a close family bereavement and as yet we are unsure of upcoming dates, we also agree that it would not feel right to enjoy a stay away if we were to be free, as this time should be spent with the family.

Hopefully under the circumstances you will be able to provide a full refund.

I will await your response.

Regards

Nicola SXXX

My email to Nicola following final payment in september

Booking Reference Number is 312873
Accommodation Booked is Calais View Garden Apartment
Dates provisionally booked are:
Date of arrival is Friday, 11 Nov 2011
Date of departure is Sunday, 13 Nov 2011
Accommodation cost : £190.00

On 24 Sep 2011, at 11:31, Jenny Whitaker <jenny.calaisview@btinternet.com> wrote:

Dear Nicola

Thank you for booking your stay with us at Calais View. By now you should have received confirmation, directions and some local literature. If by chance this hasn’t arrived or if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

We look forward to welcoming you to St Margaret’s Bay and Calais View.

Kind regards

Jenny

Calais View Garden Apartment
When all else fails - turn to chocolate.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

You've done what you can Jenny and are offering back £100 for what would have been a two night stay, I believe. You only have the one room and you can only let it once, so you've done what you can due to the last minute notice.

If you wanted to you could also offer a voucher/discount against a future booking to create goodwill, as well as the £100. Presumably you clean the property yourself, so you won't be saving a cleaning fee?
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

We have had guests ask to change their bookings and have been able to accomodate them and relet the original dates. We also have in our T&C the advice about travel insurance but have had a couple of occasions when guests have had to cancel and have been very disgruntled that we are not able to give them a refund - this was due to such short notice as we always refund if able to relet the dates.

In our very early days we had a couple who had booked for a fortnight and had a bereavement - having also had a recent bereavement myself I emphasised and immediately offered a two week holiday at another date to suit them (at no extra cost). We didn't hear back until over a year later when they wished to return, so we had to honour that agreement - and they brought extra guests :shock:
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

:evil: That's what I call taking advantage of your good will Harcourt.
Marks

Post by Marks »

When I did have someone cancel at short notice (illness) and I couldn't relet, I offered to move their booking to other dates. However I did set some rules, for example the new booking had to be within the next 12 months, if the cost of the new week was greater than what they had originally paid (it was an October booking) then they had to pay the difference. I also put a deadline date by when they had to re-book (10 months after the cancellation). They never took me up on the offer and never asked for documentation for an insurance claim.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

I'm getting harder about it now.

I provide a lot of information about travel insurance and found a UK company that can insure overseas guests.

I put this information on my booking forms; and at the end of several correspondences I say ' we strongly recommend you take out travel insurance to protect you against cancellation, medical issues and loss of passport etc'

My T&Cs say that I will not be responsible for repaying their losses caused by cancellation or curtailment but that I will attempt to relet and refund any portion that is re-let.

this is the info I put on my booking form:

Non UK residents can obtain cancellation only or full insurance from the company below. As an example, single trip cancellation only cover for a family of 5 (2 adults, 3 children) costs €52 and will cover accommodation of €900. Please see website for details of cover which can be displayed in your own language.

http://www.secure-insurance-web.com/worldfirst/

I think the price is quite reasonable.

so when people have cancelled at the last minute, having had all this information (and then get snotty because I say I will only refund if dates are re-let) I have on a few occasions referred them back to this and said quite bluntly, as you chose not to spend 52 euro (or so) on travel insurance, I'm assuming you chose to accept the risk that you might lose your money in the event of cancellation. I know it might sound a bit rude, but frankly, I think it's a bit rude of some people to assume I'm going to pay their losses.
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
Marks

Post by Marks »

Nightowl wrote:I say ' we strongly recommend you take out travel insurance to protect you against cancellation, medical issues and loss of passport etc'
Hope you don't mind but I'll use that on my booking confirmation email and similar when I send out the directions, key information etc.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

Be my guest!

(as long as you don't cancel on me 2 days before you are due to arrive....) :)
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

And as posted in another thread, with three days to go before the balance is due I've had a cancellation due to the couple splitting up last week. :? I have been in contact with her several times since I emailed her the final invoice last weekend, and there was no mention of it then. Asked about ski passes, confirmed 8 night stay not 7.............

No refund requested though. However, with an exchange of 31 emails since last March perhaps I shouldn't be surprised.