Late cancellation due to bereavement

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Jennywren

Late cancellation due to bereavement

Post by Jennywren »

Good morning all

I received this email just now and I'm not sure what to do. I don't offer an insurance policy or have a link to one on my website. She may be using bereavement as the most likely method of getting a refund, it is probably genuine, but you never know!

I would be very grateful for your advice on this one. Personally I am a bit soft and wouldn't ask for a refund as I wouldnt expect someone to be out of pocket due to my own circumstances. I could suggest a discount of the full value on a booking at a later date.....

Thanks in anticipation - Jenny

email from guest.........
Good morning

With regret I need to cancel my booking for next weekend please.
We have suffered a close family bereavement and as yet we are unsure of upcoming dates, we also agree that it would not feel right to enjoy a stay away if we were to be free, as this time should be spent with the family.

Hopefully under the circumstances you will be able to provide a full refund.

I will await your response.

Regards

Nicola
When all else fails - turn to chocolate.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I had a similar situation a couple of years ago. They didn't ask for a refund though. I replied offering condolences and assistance with providing paperwork for any insurance claim. I didn't relet the dates as it was at such short notice. It isn't up to you to offer insurance or even provide a link to a policy, that is their responsibility.
Marks

Post by Marks »

Whilst it may seem callous it is not your problem if they are not insured and is not your responsibility to make them aware that they should be insured. No refund from me unless I could relet the exact dates and then less any costs incurred (discount, admin etc).

In my t&cs I cover this by saying that I accept no responsibility for insurable risks and that by signing the booking form the guest confirms they have travel insurance.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

It's an awful situation for you to be placed in (and awful for them, too), but I think you need to be caring, but firm.

Something along the lines of you're very sorry to hear of their loss, and will try to re-let the accommodation on their behalf but, that if you are unable to do so at this short notice, then they would unfortunately be liable for the full amount. I have a horrible feeling this won't be well received in this instance, but I'm not really sure what else you can realistically do.

Out of interest, do you emphasise the need for getting travel insurance at the time when they book? If you do, I think it does help you to sleep more easily at night, not that it's in any way your responsibility or problem if they don't... but at least you'd be in a position to say "we told you so" (not in an insensitive way, of course).

Good luck.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

If someone is tempted to offer a sympathy refund (I wouldn't at short notice) I don't see why an owner shouldn't reply in a caring and thoughtful way and offer a refund if you can forward a copy of the death certificate for our insurers in order for us to process the paperwork our end. Absolute rollox of course, but renters are not likely to sit down and forge a death certificate, I suspect.

Then if the death certificate is forthcoming and you do send the refund, you can be more certain it is for the genuine and understandable reasons stated rather than them lying to get what they want.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

My first reaction was sympathy.
My second reaction was exactly as MarkS has stated.
My third reaction was suspicion. Bluntly asking for a full refund in the way they did made me nervous that the excuse is not genuine.

I'd go with my second reaction and write back politely, sensitively, but firmly.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Re-iterate what everyone else says! It's not your fault and you cannot be expected to shoulder the cost. I would write back with sympathy etc, offering to help them with an insurance claim if required. If you can re-let then you can offer to carry the booking forward to another date.

I have now had at least three cancellations due to death, relationship split and armed forces call up. First one I didn't re-let, so gave them a discount on a forward booking. Second one re-let but at a lower price so they received back a lower sum. Last one, re-let, and carried forward the booking to later in the year.

It's sad that some people expect you to shoulder the cost. I have no problem with people asking but there should be no expectation of a refund, just for you to do your best endeavours at re-letting.

My booking form carries the statement:

"What if I have to cancel my booking later?

We strongly advise you to take out Holiday Insurance to cover accident, illness, injury or unemployment. For your peace of mind please read our Terms & Conditions Of Booking."

It certainly helps my position if the situation arises.
christinedavid

Post by christinedavid »

I feel that the only way to deal with this is in a strictly business like manner. It is a very late cancellation and you're unlikely to be able to re let it. It really depends on your terms and conditions - not on whether you're soft or feel sorry for them. Of course you do. We all would. Equally, they may just be lying and trying to get a refund. There are plenty of awful people out there. The client says:"it would not feel right to enjoy a stay away" - so they would still enjoy it then??? I would just pass on my condolences but explain that I am unable to offer a refund in accordance with my T's&C's, which they would have confirmed their acceptance of at the time of booking.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Marks wrote: In my t&cs I cover this by saying that I accept no responsibility for insurable risks and that by signing the booking form the guest confirms they have travel insurance.
Just tweaking my T's and C's. Could you give me your exact wording for this bit Marks (by PM if you don't want to post it here)?

This thread follows on from another where the guests left because some minor work was carried out on the property whilst they were in situ. I realise I need to add something in to cover this as well. Any suggestions welcome as clearly our T's and C's need to cover as many eventualities as possible!
joddle

Post by joddle »

Just had something a bit similar - a late cancellation due to having to return home for a family illness - but in my case the person had not yet paid the rental, only the deposit for which in the T&Cs it says this will be forfeited in the event of late cancellation.

As this was only 10 days from the initial rental dates I have not yet agreed to return all the deposit and had said if I can re-let then I would do so - I would normally have returned part of the deposit whatever the outcome but think in view of the other comments here I may be being a bit too soft! But am I? In the final analysis I think its all to do with what you conscience tell you. After all - there is no guarantee I would have had another booking for the same period at this time of year anyway.
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.
paolo

Post by paolo »

The English is better but this is how a Nigerian scam works. Sudden death in the family, please send us back our money.

If you do send money back and they paid by cheque, wait until you are sure their cheque has cleared, and then wait some more.

If it is a recent booking and you have not turned anyone away for those dates, or marked them as booked on a calendar, personally I would refund minus bank charges. Otherwise, I would offer to put their payment towards a future booking.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I think its all to do with what you conscience tell you
Or maybe your bottom line!?

Rentals can be viewed by some owners and renters as a 'soft' business. In so much that they ask and give more than is necessary. Of course that could make the difference in customer service but how far does that get you in a very limited market (i.e. you can only service so many guests).

I'm all for doing what you can to help out, but I have to say I agree with Marks, that we shouldn't be asked to cover insurable situations just because the 'renter' hasn't bothered.

I too would reply with sympathy but offer any assistance required to work with their insurance comapny so that they are able to pay them the full refund they require.
I would carry the dates forward if I felt I could (without loss)...but I have to say I agree with e-Richard that the immediete, direct request for a full refund would make me a little suspicious and unhappy that they feel I would was easily able to give up income I have counted on for the business.

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
tavi

Post by tavi »

Interesting to read this - all good education for when it happens to me.

Certainly, like most of the others I see no reason why you should refund. When they book flights somewhere the airline doesn't refund the money for the ticket in the event of a bereavement. The best they offer is the option to change the flight, so it's difficult to see why you should be any different. This is why insurance policies exist.

On insurance, if they do have a policy...they may even find that the company doesn't pay up unless the deceased is a 1st-degree relative.
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

joddle wrote:In the final analysis I think its all to do with what you conscience tell you.
Which is fine and I'm somewhat in agreement... but you may be the only party involved in the transaction with a conscience.
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Marks wrote:...that by signing the booking form the guest confirms they have travel insurance.
Playing devil's advocate here more than anything, but if they sign the booking form and they don't have travel insurance, would that mean that the contract between you is null and void?

I guess not... but just wondering. :)
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.