Turning down returning guest

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

Hello Peggy

I am so sorry to hear of your worries - I have looked at your Villa through your link and it looks absolutely lovely, it must be heart-breaking for you to have people who show no respect. You already have some good reviews on HL, so one bad one would hurt, but I am positive that other potential renters would see through this, so if it does materialise, don't worry, but do contact HL anyway to explain the problem and supply them with evidence too. It may not help much, but there is no harm in feeding back information to them...

Oh, and welcome to LMH - I hope that you will find it as useful and informative as I do.

Bon courage

Caroline
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

Welcome from me too, Peggy.

I am so sorry that you have had to endure this and I agree with the others that following Windy's advice is the best route.

Having looked at your villa, and seeing the reviews you have, I am sure you will not lose future bookings even if they do post a bad review but I am sure you will be facing some very large bills thanks to the lack of consideration of these guests.

Just a couple of thoughts. If you are going to take a security deposit, it needs to be proportionate to the size and condition of the house. I don't think €250 is enough to make people think twice about what they are doing in a house of this quality, potentially accommodating 4 couples. The pool heating and house heating issue illustrates this very well - I should think they have spent more than that on extra electricity. I would make it at least €500.

There are other threads on the subject of charging for electricity and I know that many members think that everything should be included. However with a heated pool and the heating system which eats electricity I think it is perfectly reasonable to include enough in the price to cover normal usage and charge above. Then if they want the pool at 32 (I would hate it!) they pay for it.
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Hi Peggy
I also wanted to welcome you to the site and say how sorry I am that you've experienced guests like this. I firmly believe some people are overcome by the 'gree eyed monster' and feel they have to hit owners in the pocket to make themselves feel better about the fact they couldn't aspire to properties they stay in.

Windy's post was excellent advice and so was pepsi's about increasing your Damage deposit. It is important it is in proportion to what level of furnishings/facilities you're offering.

Finally though I think LV has hit the nail on the head for me; they're pursuing you and so you're feeling like the victim at the monet and they have all the power...Windy has give you some excellent tips to get you back in the driving seat.
Folllow his advice and then say you're entering in to no further correspondance until you decide if you will pursue a claim on them for the full costs involved.
I know it's hard...but then ignore them. They'll only get joy from ruining your Christmas. If necessary say you're unavailable over the Christmas period due to travelling.

Stay strong and don't let it get personal (easier said than done I know!)

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
bananacake

Post by bananacake »

Welcome to LMH Peggy. It shocking to hear that after all this that they still want to stay at your vacation rental?!?! They seem like really weird folk... Just charge them triple the amount and if they ask why explain that your rates are based on "Dynamic Pricing" ;)
joddle

Post by joddle »

We once had guests who did nothing but complain then later threaten us for repayment of various things - including for their hair and clothes turning green!! They messed up the pool by constanly swimming when covered in sun oil - the pool man was there every day trying to keep it clean for them but they refused to heed the warnings he gave and which are also in the T&Cs and posted by the pool. A while later, just by chance, we learned that this particular family had been bragging in a pub how they had a system to get "free holidays" by complaining - alas people like that do exist but thankfully most people are just fine.
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.
Peggy

Post by Peggy »

Dear All,
Thankyou, so much for all of your responses, especially Windy and LV. I have tended to think that everyone renting a house would treat it as their own, and take pride in handing it back as it was when they arrived.

Apart from this family, we have had some lovely guests using the villa. I have been very careful about who we have rented to as well. After Christmas we will write to them, about the costs and your suggestion Mouse to caim from them sounds a good idea. I don't think we would as it's not worth the hassle, however, if they do put a claim in we will counterclaim, putting in all the receipts and letters from the neighbours.

You are right the deposit isn't high enough to cover the damages, so we will look at that. Also, your suggestion to have something in the contract regarding the amount of electricity used is a good idea.
Many thanks for your support and Happy Christmas

Peggy x