Dual Language Website

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I use TSO host (although not for my current site which is a freebie google site) and you can easily host a wordpress site on it. I only currently use it for my webmail, whilst I work on building my wordpress site (or not but that's another story!) I'm no techie either.

Very helpful, works fine and recommended to me by another LMH'r.

Lots of hatters have also gone with Promote my place as well, and that should be an easy option I think.
CSE

Post by CSE »

All this talk about SEO and having websites to cover different languages is all rather odd.
For example Peter (mpprh) I assume is after the English speakers viewing his website. But it is a dot com and not a co dot U.K. and it is hosted in the U.K. So what makes it work? The dot com or location of hosting?
Another example; my wife is Dutch and uses the Dutch Google search engine. I use the Spanish Google usually in English. However when we search for the English same term, using both the Dutch or Spanish search engine we both come up with different results. We are both are on the same IP address.
I feel that what has been said so far is over simplify SEO issues. For your website to work well you must do your SEO the right way.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
mpprh

Re: If you're creating a new site now don't do it in HTML

Post by mpprh »

bentisdall wrote:
mpprh wrote: I'm not sure this is the best solution for SEO ?
At the end of the day, the only reason to have your own website is that people will find it.

Peter
Sorry you're just completely wrong about this. Wordpress & Joomla are both written with SEO in mind and give you loads of control over issues such as search friendly page names, control of tags, titles etc etc.
Of course pages are still in HTML you're just not hand coding it.

http://www.rsjoomla.com/blog/view/97-wh ... nough.html
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
LouiseT

Post by LouiseT »

promotemyplace looks like an easy option but does not have much scope to add any more pages etc. I cant see that it has the option to have paypal etc (at a later stage).
So far the better option (and the one I am most able to get my head round) is to have two domains hosted on the same hosting site but need one that offers the template design so that both sites will look the same.
Have tried the ones suggested but they dont have the web design programmes...... some sites have said you need to be present in france to have .fr - which wont be a problem soon...
gam

Post by gam »

An advert written by a company that sells a Joomla SEO plugin, telling you to use their product and not rely on vanilla Joomla SEO.

As bentisdall says, both Wordpress and Joomla have strong SEO elements already built in. That's not to say they can't be tailored and improved through plugins but "out of the box" they are already SEO friendly.

LouiseT wrote:promotemyplace looks like an easy option but does not have much scope to add any more pages etc.
Really? Is there a limit? HelenB's site has 9 pages or so which doesn't look very limited.

LouiseT, you must do what you think is best but I do feel you are getting very hung up on the two domain SEO thing. It's a nice to have but not an essential first thing. People will be able to find your B&B by name or small geographic area whatever domain you use with basic SEO. It's only if you want to appear high in the listings for a wide geographic area that top grade SEO is required and as I said before, that will cost you a lot of time and money and it can't be done overnight.

The dual language requirement is easily dealt with either by having two versions of each page or using Google translate which some members use very successfully.
Escape to the Country - the story of a lifestyle change and other cheesy clichés
LouiseT

Post by LouiseT »

gam wrote:
mpprh wrote:
Really? Is there a limit? HelenB's site has 9 pages or so which doesn't look very limited.

LouiseT, you must do what you think is best but I do feel you are getting very hung up on the two domain SEO thing. It's a nice to have but not an essential first thing. People will be able to find your B&B by name or small geographic area whatever domain you use with basic SEO. It's only if you want to appear high in the listings for a wide geographic area that top grade SEO is required and as I said before, that will cost you a lot of time and money and it can't be done overnight.

The dual language requirement is easily dealt with either by having two versions of each page or using Google translate which some members use very successfully.
Helen's site looks great - I just meant there wasnt options to add things like shopping cart etc although perhaps there is the option to add that no doubt if you contact them.

The two domain website is something I keep going back to as I think it looks an easier option.

Has anyone used GoDaddy before....?
paolo

Post by paolo »

mpprh wrote:More importantly, you can't optimise for search times "b&b" AND "Chambres d'Hotes" on the same website.
You can, on different pages. You optimise a page rather than the whole site. Choose one or two search terms per page.

On the subject of the physical location of the server that your site is hosted on, I am told that this is no longer an issue for Google (by a company that should know these things).
Paolo
Lay My Hat
gam

Post by gam »

LouiseT wrote:
I just meant there wasnt options to add things like shopping cart etc although perhaps there is the option to add that no doubt if you contact them.
Do you envisage allowing prospective guests to book online and pay in advance without any contact with you? That would be quite unusual for a B&B I believe. In that case you'll need more than a shopping cart, you'll need an online booking system which checks availability etc.

LouiseT wrote: The two domain website is something I keep going back to as I think it looks an easier option.
It's a better option (maybe, depends on many other things), but not easier if it restricts your choice. You'll need to do a lot of research to ensure that a simple web building template service offered by a hosting company can satisfy your basic needs (dual language, dual domain, core SEO functionality) let alone give you a visually attractive and functional site. Don't lose sight of what your website is there for or how important it will be to your success.

LouiseT wrote: Has anyone used GoDaddy before....?
There are premium hosting companies and cheap, professional and poor. Premium doesn't necessarily mean expensive and cheap doesn't necessarily mean poor. I've no personal experience but Godaddy's reputation leans towards cheap and poor.

I feel you'd benefit from taking a pause, reading a bit to understand the principles, see what others do and what the options are, decide your priorities, make a list, then see what fits your requirements in the short and then the longer term. Then go forward step by step and don't just run at it.
Escape to the Country - the story of a lifestyle change and other cheesy clichés
donafe

Post by donafe »

mpprh wrote:The dual language requirement is easily dealt with either by having two versions of each page or using Google translate which some members use very successfully.
Google translate should be a last resort option for a multilingual website:

1. No benefit for SEO for the target market
2. The accuracy of the translation is unpredictable. For example "No risk trial" was translated into Russian as "No risk of prosecution” which would probably put the potential customers off
:D
gam

Post by gam »

donafe wrote:
mpprh wrote:The dual language requirement is easily dealt with either by having two versions of each page or using Google translate which some members use very successfully.
That was me you quoted, not mpprh :)

Meant as a statement of fact - some members do use Google translate - but certainly not a recommendation for the reasons you list.
donafe

Post by donafe »

Gam, mpprh - apologies for the confusion :oops:
LouiseT

Post by LouiseT »

Thanks everyone....

Think I will do as you suggest and take a moment to digest all of the information, choose which option I want to follow and then look at the hosting that matches my requirements.
I shall no doubt ne back with some more specific questions soon. :D
CSE

Post by CSE »

You should look around as hosting can be relativity cheap My hosting company does one year for around 120€ if you purchase a longer period this comes down.
I have more than enough web space (traffic and storage) plus email accounts included. Maybe you can find something smaller and more to your needs, so it will be cheaper.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
gam

Post by gam »

120€ :shock:

You must have an enormous amount of space and bandwidth.

I pay £15 a year for mine and it has 3 websites sitting on it plus several subdomains, backups, data and email accounts (and I'm only using half my allowance).
LouiseT

Post by LouiseT »

casasantoestevo wrote:You should look around as hosting can be relativity cheap My hosting company does one year for around 120€ if you purchase a longer period this comes down.
I have more than enough web space (traffic and storage) plus email accounts included. Maybe you can find something smaller and more to your needs, so it will be cheaper.
Do you mind me asking who you use for hosting and did you design it yourself ? What programme did you use to do the different languages ?
P.S - if you dont want to mention it on here can you PM me - thanks