Dual Language Website

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
LouiseT

Dual Language Website

Post by LouiseT »

Hi, Can anyone advise on how to set up a dual language website. I have produced a basic website before using templates but havent got a clue how I would do one in two languages.. I am plannning to open a B&B in France next summer which will be aimed at both French and English guests so I want a website where there are two flags for example on the home page which then leads to the rest of the website in whatever language is chosen. The pages would be the same for both (same pictures etc) except the language.
Has anyone any experience in doing this or can point me in the right direction
Thanks
Louise
CSE

Post by CSE »

Hi and welcome to LMH

Ours is in six languages, well two of them has a much shorten version.

How good is your French?
Our other languages are based upon the other. If we have so photos are the same the layout is the same only the languages change. I feel there is nothing too hard in this once you have overcome the translations.
The same with our cut down versions.
Have a look, via the link, at the base of our response.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
LouiseT

Post by LouiseT »

Hi, Thank you for the welcome.
have just had a look at your site and that is exactly what I am talking about. My french is not that good yet but I have someone who can help me with the translation so should be ok from that respect.
How do I get a website to do that - Is it via links so that e.g when you click on the english flag it sends you to a certain page which then has its own links on and same for french etc.
That is the bit I am stuck on - how to actually design the site to do that.... Like I said my last website was pretty basic with the tabs across the top row which led to the various pages but thats about all it did. Im not sure the host I was using allowed anything more complicated which is fair enough as it is free !!
Perhaps I might need to get someone to set it up from me and then I maintain it ???
Did you do your own ? Which programme do you use ?
Thanks for your help
Louise
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I think that if you are looking for French guests and you want your webite to be found on French search engines (google.fr etc) you need a separate .fr domain. That's what I have with my site.
La Chouette

Post by La Chouette »

If you operate a business in France you must have a website in French, as I understand it.

As LV says, getting a .fr domain is the easiest way, but you can also make a folder in your main site, with a link from the French flag. I'm sure someone more techy will be along soon to give you a pointer! Our French version sits on a separate .fr domain, but I'm building another website at the moment as our B&B'll be for sale, and that sits as oursite.com/sale with a re-direct from the new domain name I've bought.

Sorry....haven't had either the first cup of tea of the morning or my brekkie so I guess what I've said is as clear as mud.

Jan
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

Having separate sites will help seo in both languages.

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
CSE

Post by CSE »

It does not seem to have harmed us having just one site in those languages.
We are a dot com because for many many years the Spanish government did not release dot es. When they did we was not quick enough to pick that one up.
Hosting of more than one website can cost a lot more money. Choose your hosting carefully.
Duplicate content could harm SEO
http://www.google.com/support/webmaster ... swer=66359
Answers to your questions:
The flags link to the relevant language sections you cannot change languages until you get back to the home page.Every page has the same basic layout so I make a Template and "fill in " the blanks. This could be done if you choose two different websites too, as the others have suggested.
Which free hosting are you using?
I use Dreamweaver to write my website.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Harborfields

Post by Harborfields »

You could have a French language flag on every page of the English version of the site, which links to the French version of that page. Like wise you could have an English language flag on every pae of the French version of the site, which links back to the English version of the page. This is not hard at all, if you are familiar with the basics of HTML.
LouiseT

Post by LouiseT »

Thanks for the tips everyone. I had in mind that I would have one website - which can be .fr which would have the two flags on the front page. You could then click on whichever flag and it would lead you to a new home page for that language and the option tabs would appear there. Both sites would be exactly the same template. I use one.com at the minute for hosting and use their blank template to design my own page.
I have never used dreamweaver but will have a look at that.
Casaantoestevo - who do you host your website through as you have the kind of site I want.
Louise
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

If you don't have 2 different websites, then you won't have the benefit of SEO in both. Your choice.
LouiseT

Post by LouiseT »

Hi,
Sorry, this is where I show my lack of expertise - whats SEO ?
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Search Engine Optimisation. If you want UK guests, they will search on e.g. google.co.uk, so it is better to have a .co.uk or .com domain. If you want French guests, they will search on google.fr and so it is better to have a .fr domain.
LouiseT

Post by LouiseT »

Ah Ok... i know what you mean now.
I would then be paying for two web hostings then ? Perhaps I can see if I can find one that will do .fr for free.
At the moment I just pay £10 a year for a domain name .uk
What about a .eu account - would that show up on both UK and French search engines ? or .com
bentisdall

If you're creating a new site now don't do it in HTML

Post by bentisdall »

LouiseT wrote: I use one.com at the minute for hosting and use their blank template to design my own page.
I have never used dreamweaver but will have a look at that.
I would strongly recommend that you get it done in one of the two big open source PHP CMSs (content management systems) either Wordpress or Joomla. PHP itself is free but it's probably best to get someone to customise a template for you. In the long term it will save you a lot of time and therefore money. I think both have multi-language support. You'll see my site murat-le-quaire-gite.co.uk is a static html site I created myself complete with language flags but it's becoming a pain to maintain and is due an upgrade very soon.
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

la vache! wrote:Search Engine Optimisation. If you want UK guests, they will search on e.g. google.co.uk, so it is better to have a .co.uk or .com domain. If you want French guests, they will search on google.fr and so it is better to have a .fr domain.
More importantly, you can't optimise for search times "b&b" AND "Chambres d'Hotes" on the same website.

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com