Rude people

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Windy

Rude people

Post by Windy »

I had an email yesterday from someone who has booked a lodge for New Year (not one of ours) asking me if the on-site pub will be open on 31st December.

Rather than writing "why don't you ask the people whose lodge you HAVE booked?" I took the time to write an email explaining what I understood to be the situation and providing a telephone number she could call to check.

How hard would it have been for her to reply with one word? "Thanks"

Too hard obviously. :evil:
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

I've fallen for that one before now. They even offered to buy me a beer, which, needless to say, never happened!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I've lost count of the numbers of people staying elsewhere I've helped with finding ski lessons, childcare etc that have failed to thank me. Worst of all was a prize winner who stayed for free in my apartment, with three other family members. Not a word even to say her damage deposit had been returned safely.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

We had a plea for 4 nights this October for a lady, her mother & 3 dogs. Usually 2 dogs is our limit but she is a dog trainer & seemed very nice from the emails so we agreed as we thought the dogs were probably well under control. A few days later I chased as we had not had a response to the booking form being emailed. I received an apologetic message stating that they would have to cancel as she had not realised they would have to pay a damages deposit & as she & her mother were on small pensions they could afford the rent but not the deposit.

Feeling sorry for them I emailed back to say that although it wasn't our normal practice we would just hold the deposit cheque & not cash it & to please complete the booking form.

Silence.

I called the house& spoke to mother & asked her to get daughter to check emails.

I called again to be told they'd changed their minds & wouldn't be coming! My thoughts were not printable.

I suspect they have booked elsewhere but a message would have been polite especially as we had bent over backwards to accommodate them. Some you win some you lose!
joddle

Post by joddle »

A short while ago we took a booking from three girls from Madrid who wanted to stay in our flat for 3 days in Valencia. As it was less than two whole days before they were to arrive we said they could pay the deposit and rent together when they arrived. This was agreed. They then confirmed they would be arriving at about 7pm as they would be driving from Madrid by car.

On the appointed night we waited with the keys at the flat at 7pm but after 20 mins no one had arrived so we phoned them to see if they were OK. The girl who had made the booking said they were on their way but would be late and arrive at about 11pm. We were not best pleased about that however but thought oh well and so were there waiting for them at 11pm but again after waiting almost an hour they did not arrive so we decided to call them once more.

The phone rang but no one answered so after a few minutes we tried again. This time the same girl answered and we asked when they would be arriving. She was very annoyed and said she was in bed and we had awoken her and they had decided not to come after all. We asked could they not have told us that but she just swore at us and slammed the phone down - nice eh!
Last edited by joddle on Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Unbelievable.

Even though some people are rude, I think it's still good practice to reply to people, etc. even if they're not staying at your place, or even if they turn out not to bother thanking or whatever.

There will be some people who remember your courtesy and helpfulness when the next time they want to book comes around.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
joddle

Post by joddle »

kendalcottages wrote:Even though some people are rude, I think it's still good practice to reply to people, etc. even if they're not staying at your place, or even if they turn out not to bother thanking or whatever.

There will be some people who remember your courtesy and helpfulness when the next time they want to book comes around.
Agreed - we always answer all genuine queries and respond to questions etc etc as soon as possible - and most people are great. Often though we simply don't get an answer but that seems to be almost normal these days.
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

From someone who has had it instilled to write thank you notes on Xmas Day I am somewhat irritated not one guest over Xmas and NY said thank you for decorations, chocs and wine left.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I haven't yet asked for feedback, but have had a text from one guest after a New Year stay, thanking me. I also had an email in advance of a guest staying, thanking me for the amount of advance information I gave them. They compared it to staying at a Hoseason property where you are not given any information and have to work it out when you get there. They said "you've made this short break for us already, thanks."

So there are some people still out there with nice manners!
pambon

Post by pambon »

apexblue wrote:From someone who has had it instilled to write thank you notes on Xmas Day I am somewhat irritated not one guest over Xmas and NY said thank you for decorations, chocs and wine left.
That really stinks, Apexblue, doesn't it? I almost hated Xmas and my birthday (not many days between the two) for the Thank You letters I had to write!

Like other LMHers I always reply to queries even if they have booked elsewhere or whatever; usually I receive a thank you - but not always.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Nice to see you back Pambon!

Apex that must be frustrating....but having twice now contacted owners thanking them for a pleasant stay at their place and not getting a reply back (even when we said we'd like to stay again) I can assure you that it isn't just guests who are ignorant.

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
pambon

Post by pambon »

Mouse wrote:Nice to see you back Pambon!

Mousie
x
Thanks Mousie!!
Marks

Post by Marks »

Mouse wrote:but having twice now contacted owners thanking them for a pleasant stay at their place and not getting a reply back (even when we said we'd like to stay again) I can assure you that it isn't just guests who are ignorant.
Interesting statistic from Spain-Holiday.com in their reasons for not renting - 26% because the owner didn't respond to the enquiry :shock:
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Quite amazing statistic isn't it?

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
pambon

Post by pambon »

Not surprised; it happened to me when I was looking to rent in the UK several years back......

Why these owners bother to even advertise (or rent) beats me. OK so they may have been away themselves for some reason....then set up an automatic email reply.