Availability calendar help

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
kendalcottages

Availability calendar help

Post by kendalcottages »

Hi there

I have a web design client who wants to put availability on his website.

I can't seem to convince him that PIMS is a good idea (in fact, I can't seem to convince him to email his website amendments by - it always seems to have to be done over the phone, but that's another story).

So... he has his own 'management system' (think paper and pen) and he wants to show availability on his site.

He has...

- cottages
- apartments
- 2 types of timber lodge
- a house
- 3 types of static caravan

Can anyone point me in the direction of a VERY simple system which would do this for him. It needs to be simple as he's a bit of a luddite... he doesn't want to enter the person's names or anything like that, just block off the dates and nothing else. I don't think he's on any of the big listing sites (certainly not with all the different types of accommodation) so not sure their availability calendars are an option.

Thanks.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
964kevin

Post by 964kevin »

I up until today used Google Calendar, it's useful but only shows one month at a time.
The upside is its very click and type.

IMHO

Kevin
http://www.encantada-vacation.com

Our little piece of Florida, never get tired of being there. Love it and the people to bits.
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Thanks for the reply, Kevin...

When I've seen people use Google Calendar in the past, I've always felt that the output on the website is rather ugly. Is there a better way, do you know, or something a bit neater?
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Harborfields

Post by Harborfields »

Dateblocker.com might work for him?
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

You could look at mine - it is totally home made, just the dates typed in black and converted to red/strike through when booked. I don't think it looks ugly although I am sure it is too simple for other people. Has worked fine for me for years and might just appeal to your client?
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Before I used PIMS (was there a time..... :D ) I used rentalcalendarsdirect.com which was very easy to use and can accommodate multi properties I believe.
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

I thought of dateblocker, Harborfields, but I'm not sure how well it can handle multiple properties. I guess I would need a separate 12 month calendar for each if going down that route.

I have looked at yours, Margaret. I assume you're editing an HTML and then re-uploading, rather than updating via some idiot-proof management means. That's probably a no-no for him as the prospect of having to upload it himself would totally put him off. This is a guy who gets annoyed when he gets emails asking him questions, and he wished they would just phone, because he can't really be a**ed to type. It's not that he's an uncaring owner. He just really, really doesn't want to embrace the internet (although he knows it's important).

Thanks, Nemo... that looks promising although I'm not sure he'll like the ad at the bottom of the multi-calendar, so I've sent them an email to ask if there's a paid-for ad-free version. I'm also slightly concerned as the example, multi-unit ones are seemingly failing to load properly right now, so I'm not sure how well it works...
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

kendalcottages wrote:I'm also slightly concerned as the example, multi-unit ones are seemingly failing to load properly right now, so I'm not sure how well it works...
Correction... they did load, just took a long time.
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Hmmm... my email to them bounced so any other ideas welcomed! :)
Harborfields

Post by Harborfields »

kendalcottages wrote:I thought of dateblocker, Harborfields, but I'm not sure how well it can handle multiple properties. I guess I would need a separate 12 month calendar for each if going down that route.
You can see an example of dateblocker's multi-property calendar at the bottom of this page: http://www.harborfields.com/Cottages/Availability.html -- it only does one month at time, but one can scroll through the months by pressing "next" buttons or choosing the month of interest from a pull down menu.
gadgetmonster

Post by gadgetmonster »

kendalcottages wrote:Hmmm... my email to them bounced so any other ideas welcomed! :)
Sorry - a bit late to the party here but if you're still looking for a simple availability calendar then I am using http://www.ajaxavailabilitycalendar.com/ which is free and handles multiple properties.

Will be replacing with PIMS soon but for a freebie its pretty good.
www.lestroispetitesmaisons.com - Please like our Facebook page (link at the bottom on the website) and we will like you back :)
Martha

Post by Martha »

I'm probably the only person in the world who does it with Photoshop! :) Not recommending this for most people though :P
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Cotterdale

Post by Cotterdale »

You can buy a calendar add on with dreamweaver I did try it, but it took ages to load up.
I now just use tables in dreamweaver
Ben McNevis

Post by Ben McNevis »

Question: Does he maintain any calendar on a listing site? If not, he's a very odd customer indeed. If he does, most listing sites give you code for implanting their calendar but obviously you would have thought of this so I guess the answer must be NO.

There is www.bookingcalendar.info
which seems to do exactly what is wanted. You can maintain several calendars from a single login. I use it but I really can't remember why as all our properties are on listing sites with their own calendars. I really must rationalise.
Cheers, Ben
www . scotland-cottage.com www . scottish-cottage.com

Visiting Glenrothes? It's one of your Fife-a-day
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Cotterdale wrote:You can buy a calendar add on with dreamweaver I did try it, but it took ages to load up.
I now just use tables in dreamweaver
I love your availability calendar, it is very comprehensive combining all the pricing info as well, for weekends, weeks etc.