Florida/Easter 2012 availability?

For topics that are specific to the USA, please go here.
Nemo

Florida/Easter 2012 availability?

Post by Nemo »

I'm looking for a villa in Florida for a two week holiday next year around Easter time and wondered if any owners who post here had availability? Perhaps you could PM me if so? Looking to do Disney etc and if possible use some air miles for flights which means I don't have many options having left it this late!

Otherwise perhaps you can direct me to an appropriate forum where I may find more active members? I want to book with someone direct rather than through an agency.
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Post by Wendy@NorthIdaho »

I'm a long way from Florida, but here is a forum of mostly US vacation rental owners, there are several from Florida on here.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vacation_rentals/

I hope you find something for your holiday!
Wendy
New Vacation Rental called DayStar Lodge! (Sold Narrows Cottage now have a rental management company called A-List Rental Management)
janny

Post by janny »

Hi Nemo
Have sent you a PM
Jan
Beachcondo

Post by Beachcondo »

A PM should be in the mail.

Marie-Louise
Pessimists only get positive surprises.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Thanks to all who have replied so far! I have now booked our flights based on the feedback I have had from some owners, so stage one is sorted. I am now researching the villas - quite a lot to take on board!
Nemo

More questions!

Post by Nemo »

Now I am doing more research I have a couple of general questions. Would you need air con or are fans good enough in April? Would I need pool heating? So many places charge extra it's difficult to compare pricing at present unless I get an actual quote from each home owner.

I have ended up looking at Holiday Rentals for a property at present. I was not impressed with the search options at Owners Direct unless I'm missing something!
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Post by Wendy@NorthIdaho »

Honestly, I can't imagine anyone charging for airconditioning in the US. I had never heard of doing that before starting to travel in Europe, but I don't know the Florida market. Also, I would just assume everyone has airconditioning in a place like Florida. Do their ads say they charge for air or pool heating?

Good that you are checking for these things as I would just assume that they have the air and would never expect to pay for it here...

Wendy
New Vacation Rental called DayStar Lodge! (Sold Narrows Cottage now have a rental management company called A-List Rental Management)
janny

Post by janny »

Air con is usually left on all the time in Florida and I would say unless you were exceptionally hardy pool heat is a must too.Just ask for the total including all taxes utiltites and cleaning then also with and without pool heat .If you go for pool heat check to see if there is a pool cover -preferably on a roller as this is easier and will make a difference .
Need help just holler :)
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Thanks folks! The air con seems to be included but then ceiling fans are sometimes mentioned, so wasn't sure whether some rooms like bedrooms only have fans.

I think I will opt for pool heat in my enquiries now. Places are going fast, especially the high spec/more expensive ones which is interesting. Having enquired on a few, several have gone since bookmarking them in the last day when their calendars were already up to date.
janny

Post by janny »

Many people are now realising that low prices can sometimes mean a less than desirable place -a result of the many foreclosures in the Disney area so consequently homes that charge a sensible rate are booked as people don't want their hard worked for holiday ruined by bad accommodation.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Yes so true. Our holiday will cost a great deal and is not likely to be repeated so I am looking for a beautiful place to stay!
janny

Post by janny »

Debbie -you probably know this but just in case -have you been given details of how to apply for your families ESTA -make sure you only use the official site as there are others out there who charge for it on top of the US Govt charge.
The site is being maintained at the moment so it is down so I can't post the link .
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Hi Jan thanks I was aware, so it's on my to do list. Hubby has a visa from a few years back so presumabaly he won't need one?

Your villa looks beautiful Jan, I wish it co-incided with our dates! One question, I was thinking that a west facing pool might feel a let down when going to the sunshine state, if the sun has gone from it in the evening (if I'm correct?).

I had visions of returning in the evening to do a spot of sunbathing/swimming, so thought I would need a south facing pool. What do you think - should south facing be on my wish list or will I be fine with west? I'm sure some don't tell you anyway!
janny

Post by janny »

Hi Debbie no he won't need an ESTA but will still need to fill in the customs forms though.
West facing pools will get the sun late in the afternoon and early evening bit it also depends on the houses around it if they are 2 storey then they may block off the sun a bit earlier .Google the address of where you fancy and you will see what the lie of the land looks like.I can help you with that if you like.
We get it on our deck until later in the evening during summer as the deck is extended further than our neighbours .Looking at Google maps is a good idea as not every owner is 100% sure of the direction their pool lies in :wink:

I am sorry I can't help you out either but if I can help you in anyway just ask.