Cookies; not the biscuits kind.

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
CSE

Post by CSE »

If you do not accept cookies even the back one page button on a website (rather than on the browser) will not work.

Back to the highjack;
EU should be spending money sorting out more important items than this... I totally agree it is a waste of time and paper.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Most browsers give users the option of requiring permission before accepting cookies. I've used this feature for years in Firefox and it's quite enlightening to know who is trying to set a cookie when I visit a site.

Using this feature makes it apparent very quickly just how prevalent cookies are. And I wish those who had passed this law had used this browser feature for just a few weeks before voting. I'd guess the vote would have gone very differently had they personally experienced a pop-up message every time a new site wanted to set a cookie.
Brooke
CSE

Post by CSE »

Just found this about Facebook cookies:
http://nikcub-cache.appspot.com/logging ... not-enough
SO they can seemly trace you off line.
So please Mr EU before you write laws and chase us small fry go after the big fish first.
donafe

Post by donafe »

Just to confuse the LMY folk a little bit more I would like to add that the cookies come in different flavours: session cookies, third-party cookies, persistent cookies (and even more…).

At the bottom of the original article it says:

Are all cookies affected?
The vast majority are - all cookies that are not "strictly necessary for a service requested by a user".

Session cookies.
These will die at the end of the session – namely when the browser is closed. They are primarily used to tie the requests sent to the server with a particular user session. Most of the websites rely on it and might not function properly if the session cookies are not allowed.

Persistent cookies.
For example, if a user would like to stay logged into the system (that might save him/her time to re-entering the password) – the system should ask permission for this. This shouldn’t have any adverse impact on the functionality of the website even the permission is not granted.

Third-party cookies. These are the ones to watch out for. These cookies can pass information between the sites and they might violate the user privacy.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

e-richard wrote: I have no intention of changing my website, nor any of my browser settings just to suit the overpaid, ill informed grey suits in Brussels (or even Madrid :wink: )
Seconded! I cannot use the words here in public as to what I think of those that sit around and pass these laws, with absolutely no concept of the harm/waste of time/evil (delete as applicable) they inflict on the rest of us. :evil:
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

I still cannot understand the fear of cookies. Its said that Big Brother is watching you, but BB is only a dumb computer and she is only watching you so that she can serve up "relevant" adverts.

So, why, I ask you, while reading a technical article on Google+ did BB think it was relevant to me to offer this advert :

I mean, what websites have I been looking at that get close to thinking this is of relevance to me ?

Big Brother is really dumb :wink:
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
CSE

Post by CSE »

Richard I don’t know who BB is :oops:

To maybe answer the question; what set off this “recommendation” ? Maybe it is you looking to deposit your millions in a offshore bank account or something..
:wink:
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

casasantoestevo wrote:Richard I don’t know who BB is :oops:
BB = Big Brother. A character from George Orwells novel 1984?