Which web builder package do you use?

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
Ju

Which web builder package do you use?

Post by Ju »

Our website is built in Microsoft Frontpage. The package is no longer supported and has been replaced by Microsoft expression web. We have a copy of this, but I just can't get on with it. It doesn't do what I want it to. I've tried following turorials, but although on screen it looks like it has done the right thing, once previewed in the browser it looks different.

I don't know whether to persevere with expressions, stick with frontpage, or try something new altogether.

We use wordpress for the blog, but it is not what we want for the website.
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

There's a similar thread here, Ju:

viewtopic.php?t=13705

I don't know anything about Microsoft expression web, but I know Frontpage was pretty ugly, even when it was supported. It's well known for having bloated, unnecessary code.

I'd certainly drop FP. Maybe look at Dreamweaver?

Why do you say you don't want to use Wordpress for the site, out of interest? This seems to be a growing trend...
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Ju

Post by Ju »

Thanks kendal, I know there was another thread somewhere.

I've looked at dreamweaver, but the price really puts me off (£395 on Amazon at the moment) given that I've got a fully functioning expressions that I don't like I'm loath to pay out that amount for another package.

WebPlus X5 is mentioned on the other thread, which I have been looking at, seems to do the job at a fraction of the price.

IMO wordpress is great for blogs, but not websites. Just my opinion of course and I know that lots of people here have nice sites using wordpress.
La Chouette

Post by La Chouette »

Ju wrote:
WebPlus X5 is mentioned on the other thread, which I have been looking at, seems to do the job at a fraction of the price.
I did our site with Webplus X4 (I know....there are still bits to finish tidying up!) but it's fairly intuitive to use, there are good tutorials available and most importantly, an excellent forum to lend help and support.

Jan
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Hi Ju,
I use an old version of Dreamweaver, but only use it to update the site, it would be far too frustrating to use for a completely new design. I've thought about buying a new version, but it is expensive and as I don't design websites for a living I'm not sure it is justified.
If and when I change my website, I will probably go the Wordpress route - I think Martha's Wordpress website (which she did herself) is one of the best personal sites I've ever seen and it has cerainly inspired me towards using it, but as you say, it is a personal choice.
Harborfields

Post by Harborfields »

I code my websites "by hand" with a basic text editor.
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

la vache! wrote:I use an old version of Dreamweaver...
So do I, but it does the job.

My site was done with Dreamweaver 3 which is ages old now.

You can pick up Dreamweaver 4 on eBay for less than £30 (plus postage).

eg. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DREAMWEAVER-4 ... 1334wt_932
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Without Fireworks (which you don't need), you can get it for less than £20.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Macromedia-DR ... _654wt_932
CSE

Post by CSE »

If you are upgrading your website you should look into using HTML5 so that you can keep up with the latest code changes, especially for newer browsers.
Dreamweaver* does that. And it is a reasonable price when compared with someone designing a website for you.

* Form version 5 onwards.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
donafe

Post by donafe »

I know for a fact that a friend of mine bought a copy of Dreamweaver, installed on his pc and tried to sell it on the ebay.

The adobe legal team had contacted him and kindly asked to remove his advert. In other words it was strictly illegal.

It was 5 or more years ago though.

£395 as a one off for a tool is a bit pricey. But since you are going to use it to maintain your website over the years might not be that bad. Of course, less you spent is better!
Essar

website software

Post by Essar »

Ju

I use Xara Web Designer 7 Premium:

http://www.xara.com/uk/products/webdesigner/

Easy to use lots of templates and only £89.99.
You can build a website entirely without knowing html, however, if you want to its easy to to get into the background.

Steve
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
Ju

Post by Ju »

After listening to all this I am wondering if I should just stick to frontpage. I don't want to build a website, I already have one. I just want to tweak it.
Windy

Post by Windy »

I don't want to build a website, I already have one. I just want to tweak it.
Then maybe buy yourself a couple of books on html and css from www.sitepoint.com?

Having said that it IS a steep learning curve and Frontpage css / html is so full of **** that it might not be easy to decode. It's kind of fun though.

I now tend to use a combination of Artisteer (~ £100) for a base design (It looks after things like rounded corners that are for some reason hyper difficult to code successfully with cross browser uniformity) and a bit of hand carved html / css.
donafe

Post by donafe »

Ju,

I would adapt Windy's approach: you've already got a website - no need any packages to build it from scratch - just learn a bit of html that you need to change.

A very good tutorial is htmldog.com (it's a bit outdated and is incomplete but a great starting point for anyone interested in html and css). I used it to build my website.

The problem with the tutorials these days is there are too many to choose from and you may get bored while going through them.

Let us know what needs changed on your website and we should be able to give you some navigation.
Cotterdale

Post by Cotterdale »

I used Dreamweaver to build my website.