Am I doing too much...

For everything specific to B&Bs as opposed to holiday rentals.
pujols

PERHAPS

Post by pujols »

It takes several washing machines full to take care of our washing up....and yes we wash cooking utensils as we go.
Everything does depend upon the complexity of the meal and with that....of course the price will match.
2012 is certainly not going to be an easy year....need not reminde you all of the woes of the world.
In my region I am trying to get everyone to work together to keep the standards high...and the interest in coming here for buisness or on holiday high up on a wish list.
Those who do not make efforts to reach high standards may
fall by the wayside .....the ride may be bumpy.
aasta

Post by aasta »

Just read this thread. Should be a must read for aspiring B&B owners. You are amazing!
I second the recommendation of Birkenstocks. We just started haveing a weekly Tuina massage (chinese massage therapy). The therapist works on our feet and it works wonders. .. We also offer the massages to our guests which has been very popular..

We have the two night minimum and are wondering if we should have a four night minimum for next summer.
aasta
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Thanks to this thread B&B Netherlands (Lydia) and I are having the first LMH/HMS meeting at the end of the month!

HMS is Hypermobility Syndrome. Since this thread we have been in touch and it has been great to find someone who experiences and understands an illness which isn't totally grasped even amongst the medical profession.

It just so happened that Dave is attending a conference in Amsterdam so this will be about my 10th LMH meet up when I tag along.

Hope everyone's feet are bearing up, hang on, the end of the season is in sight. :wink:
B&B netherlands

Post by B&B netherlands »

yes, we've met through this thread, first time for us both (i think) to meet someone of the same age, with the same problems, and trying to keep our businesses flourishing - which is part of our lifestyle and proudness.

i think we're both looking forward to meet, exchange HMS-backgrounds and particulars. great forum!
Titti

Post by Titti »

I think most of what was needed has been said, so I'll add only more detail based on my 8 years experience as a B&B owner.

No matter how you like it you have to consider your health and your capability to endure. Your health is not only limited to the feet.

In the first few years I made myself so tired trying to keep impossible standards that I almost got burned out.

If you continue the way you go now, you will eventually burn because you never have time for yourself. In addition you probably don't get enough sleep. Being exhausted the whole time will bring you to feeling ill and demotivated.

I am not being negative, I have seen this and not only for myself. US research apparently states that B&B owners quit on average after 7 years. I have passed the 8 year and I am determined to continue for quite a while. This is also a second career for me so it's not that I am going to get another job if I don't make it.

The way I have increased my resistance is by outsourcing and delegating. Every hour I pay for a cleaning lady is money I don't pay for medicines, that's the way I reason it. Same for outsourcing the laundry or the heavier garden work.

Having help leaves more time for the more important work that is taking care of advertisement, blogging and networking in order to bring more people in.

We stopped offering dinner after the first year as it was an economic loss and would have obliterated our family life. That's also important isn't it?

While we don't offer meals, we do cooking classes which are very successful. Since I have a person to help me with that, I have been able to take more people, again something that is more rewarding and profitable.

Don't feel alone, we all belong to the sore feet tribe!
B&B netherlands

titti, i'm just starting my 3rd year and have learned a lot. basically: NOT getting exhausted because 'business comes first'. you can't run a B&B singlehandedly as i do, if you don't outsource. as i live in the netherlands, the summer season is relatively short; i'm also not in a very 'touristic' area, though amsterdam is close.

it's not only the feet as you say, indeed. i stopped making breakfast for guests who wanted it before 7 am. simply: lack of sleep killed it. i bought a breadbaking machine, prepare a fresh bread the night before and place it before i go to bed at the door of the guestroom and fill up the fridge with everything else. breakfast hours are limited between 8 and 9 now - except for sundays, 9.30 is fine with me ;)

guests are asked to vacate the rooms before 10 am. nobody ever makes a problem about that. guests are welcome from end afternoon, between 4 and 6, unless otherwise discussed. i cater for wedding guests; sometimes arriving much earlier, just to put the luggage down and get dressed. room is not always ready then - they do understand that!

i get lots of onenighters, even during high season. for 4 guests, i have usually 2-3 loads of washing in the machine. lots of spare bath towels and bed linen - i can cope, if it doesn't rain continually for 3 days!!! i am thinking now to replace my almost 8 year old washing machine next year by a combined washer-dryer. my laundry service around the corner can only guarantee to bring my stuff back once a week! (dutchies mostly wash their bed linen at home, it's a dry cleaner outsourcing laundry as a service to the customers)

running a B&B is for me also a second career. i keep investing, after feedback from guests. my 'pluspoint' is mainly being the only B&B in my village, and 2 much more expensive hotels as competition. (one even sends me guests they cannot take!)

it all depends upon what you want and can offer, as owner. if it's the only income you have, it might be quite hard. i have never thought it to be so much fun actually, to meet people and give hospitality and the little extras that can make the difference.

'the sore feet tribe' - yes! (sue & i meet pretty soon in real life, having met through LMH)
Titti

Post by Titti »

yes, I think we all have to find our way, sore feet and all!
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

Well, everyone's contributions have been very useful for me.

I kinda thought that I wanted 100% occupancy at least June, July and August. As long as I'm doing 80% of the work, I realise that I don't. Three or four nights per week through that period is fine and similar during April / May and September / early October.

This autumn's project is to put more of the garden down to shrubs and perennials which is actually low maintenance as I plant through a membrane and then cover with gravel. Looks attractive and doesn't stop the plants growing well and spreading over the gravel but does inhibit weed growth significantly thus reducing weekly gardening chores.

Price for the evening meal is going up to 25€ and I'm not going to actively promote it (though it will be on the website for those to whom it really matters to be aware).

I'm going to look at the Ikea seersucker-style, no iron duvets. Duvets are the things that take longest to iron and bottom sheets are what give such a good impression when immaculately ironed so that's what I'll aim for.

Currently I will do an evening meal for guests arriving up until 9pm - from now on it is 7.30pm or 8pm latest.

I am considering offering evening meal on arrival night only... but that will be somewhat flexible because not everyone will have the same first night and it is no more time consuming to cook for 4 or even 6 guests as two and of course the profit margin increases across the additional guests.

My goal is no one-nighters during July and August (but realistically that will take a year or two more to achieve). And if all three rooms are booked, then I will look at getting help with the ironing rather than doggedly continue to do it myself.

Like you, Titti, I do want to continue doing this for at least the next 10 years, so I need to find a balance between the job keeping me fit (and I am much fitter than I was in May!) or totally knackering me! I'm confident the balance is there to be found. :wink:

ps: Crocs have given me sore (rubbed sore) feet. :(
B&B netherlands wrote:i am thinking now to replace my almost 8 year old washing machine next year by a combined washer-dryer.
I would always (space permitting) have separate machines - my preferred wash program takes 55 minutes and I can get 5 lots of bedding and towels washed and in the dryer or on the line in 5 hours with most of it dry by evening. If I had to wait for a drying program to finish too, that would significantly extend the routine. It wouldn't work for me.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

As a previous owner of a washer-dryer, they are notoriously unreliable, and don't dry a full load anyway, meaning either washing several small loads or taking items out.
B&B netherlands

helenB
i am aware of that... i can't place a dryer where my washer is - on the 2nd floor. could eventually put it in my kitchen - on the ground floor... which is rather unpractical. but as long as the weather is sunny and dry, there's no problem to get everything dry in 1 day! my sister has such a machine and it never fails her.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I'm going to look at the Ikea seersucker-style, no iron duvets.
They also have these at M&S and they will post abroad. Also at The White Co...but they're expensive to get posted :cry:

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Sorry for washing/dryer thread creep!

I strongly second what Helen say's about the combo. Room is tight in my kitchen so my condenser dryer is in a cupboard under the stairs. As long as I leave the cupboard door open when in use it is fine.