Does the team think?

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
CSE

Does the team think?

Post by CSE »

I am revising the website; (for more than a year now :shock:)
I am writing a lightbox* photo album. What does the team think should be the ideal amount of photos in each album?
You know not so many as to be useless and not give any information but then i do not want to bore views with too many photos in one album.

* If you don't know what a lightbox album is I will find a link to illustrate it. Let me know.

Thanks.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Always less is more. With promotional photo galleries: the better the quality of the photographs, the less you need to use (IMO). The intention should be seduction - tickling with a feather rather than giving the whole goose an outing (as a Frenchman memorably said about the 'art' of taxation without pain).

I prefer fewer excellent pictures, carefully sequenced/captioned that resonate off each other - but with links to another part of the site for more pictures for those inclined to further research. Get the viewers on the bus first, then they can decide how much more of the goose they wish to see.

Jim
CSE

Post by CSE »

Excellent ideas, thank you.
I should have added I am not going to use the photos presently on the website; the quality is poor.
The reason for adding a "a fair few" photos is one for SEO, as Google will also pick these up.Two with website reviews most comments on this forum is add more photos.
Essar

photos

Post by Essar »

Don't forget to put the descriptions on your photos (meta tags), its the text not the images Google loves (I'm probably "teaching my grandmother to suck eggs").
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
CSE

Post by CSE »

Me? A Grandmother? :lol: :lol:
Thanks for the tip.
pete

Post by pete »

I dont know what a lightbox is, I am assuming its one of those 'change the picture while you read the words' as I see sometimes on websites ?

In this instance I would listen to Jimbo, less is more,
donafe

image gallery and website navigation

Post by donafe »

I think if the photos are interesting, show different aspects of the house, in high resolution – you should show all of them.

But if you have 10 photos with the same kitchen table on it from different angles – the visitors might just get bored.

One thing I noticed that the navigation on the site can be improved: why do you need a new browser window when you open your image gallery? Why don’t you add a navigation menu on the left with links “House”, “Galicia”, etc and use the space on the right to show your lightbox with the thumbnail images underneath?

Just an idea – happy to explore further
CSE

Post by CSE »

Here is one example of lightbox.
http://fancybox.net/home

donafe my intention is not to use simpleviwer when I update.
I am going to add a link to the lightbox presentation under the left hand graphic (page tile).
donafe

Post by donafe »

Thanks casasantoestevo

That might be alright. I just wanted to note that opening/closing windows while navigating through the website is usually a bad idea.

I will wait for the site to be updated and give you more feedback.