Pet Passport rules are changing

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
KathyG

Pet Passport rules are changing

Post by KathyG »

At last!

From January 1st 2012, you can now have your pet vaccinated against rabies and then they can travel with you after only 3 weeks! Compared to current legislation which requires a blood test after 1 month then following successful blood results another 6 months before your animal can enter the UK.

They're also doing away with the tick treatment required on your return, and are still considering the tapeworm treatment. Good news eh?

Here's the Defra site :D
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Great news.
Circé

Post by Circé »

You might think so, Helen, but not all of those on the thread about pets under France would agree :lol:
Jimbo

Re: Pet Passport rules are changing

Post by Jimbo »

katiegirl wrote:They're also doing away with the tick treatment required on your return, and are still considering the tapeworm treatment. Good news eh?
From Lost in France website:
The two most common diseases spread by ticks are Babesiosis (Lymes Disease) and Piroplasmose, for dogs both can be quickly fatal as early signs of the disease can easily go unnoticed, therefore it cannot be stressed enough that prevention is better than cure!

Although tick fever does occur in the UK it is far more prevalent in France and other European countries, dogs and other pets coming to France from the UK are often more susceptible to the disease because they have not had chance to build up a natural immunity.
I never thought about ticks whilst living in the UK but here in the forests of the Dordogne, which are stuffed with deer, ticks are rife. Not only are tick bites dangerous to domestic animals but any person presenting a odd-looking insect bite to their doctor will immediately be prescribed antibiotics (happened to me) to ward of the possibility of the nasty Lyme disease. Since living here, our friend Tom has contracted Lyme disease, which flares up regularly and is very debilitating.

Presumably Defra's argument is that pet owners will 'frontline' their travelling pets as a matter of course, so mandatory treatment isn't necessary. Hope they're right.

Jim
domino

Post by domino »

Whilst I agree its good news re the rabies protocol its still going to be a pain having to get our pets to the vet for tapeworm treatment prior to entry to the UK. Our cats in particular really dont appreciate it :(
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Bumping this back up as it is being debated in another thread..

Tapeworm treatment is only needed for dogs, cats no longer need it.
Full details on the new regulations, which are valid from Jan 1st 2012 are on the DEFRA website.
http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/

For anyone worried about taking their pet to France, French vets are cheaper than Uk ones, and most are very familiar with the pet passport regulations. AsJimbo said, it is still important for them to have treatment against ticks, but responsible dog owners will give them proper flea treatment in the UK anyway, and Frontline or Advantix will stop both.
Eileen2

Post by Eileen2 »

We are not long back from a trip to Greece with out dog. The extended treatment time of up to 120 hours for tapeworm treatment before entry into the UK makes matters so much easier.

The cost of the treatment in Greece was 35 euros.

I worry about withdrawing the legislation for ticks and tapeworm treatment. It's easy to become complacent about these issues when living in the UK, it could be some pet owners may skimp on these necessary protective measures.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Eileen, TBH, I can't see the point in them withdrawing the requirement if the tapeworm treatment is still necessary.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Back from France last night, saw the vet on Monday but he had no knowledge of the new law :roll: and amazingly was happy to go along with whatever I said the legal requirement was! Trouble was, I couldn't remember whether it was the tick/flea or the tapeworm treatment that was still needed so ended up having both anyway. :roll: €68 for 3 dogs.
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Kathy, very good value, it wasn't much less for one dog.