Agghh!! Lost my website!!

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
KathyG

Agghh!! Lost my website!!

Post by KathyG »

Have had to do a massive re-installation of the operating system on my Mac which deleted everything on there. :shock: It is all backed up though on Time Capsule so in theory everything should be there.

However I currently have no documents at all, my calendar is empty, but worst of all is my website which now just says Website Suspended!

Am waiting to hear from my brother who's my webmaster when I'm stumped (frequently) but I guess it's got something to do with what I've just had to do. Never again - it's been terrifying! :shock:

Anyway, just in case anyone's got any bright ideas before I stumble across the solution myself, I just thought I'd post on here. Right, off to see if I can work out what's happened......
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I thought macs were perfect and it was impossible for them to have problems...
Sorry, very unhelpful, but couldn't resist :wink:
Regarding your website - even if the files on your computer have been wiped, the website relies on the remote files on the server, doesn't it? So I'm not sure why your site would be suspended just because there is a problem with your computer files.
Whenever I've done something stupid to my local website files, I've just ftp'd all the remote files back to the local files on my computer. I thought that was how it worked for everyone, but I'm far from an expert - I'm sure someone will be along soon to be more helpful!
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

You're dead right LV - but not about the first bit! :lol:

I'm embarrassed to have to admit that as a result of my bro moving the account from his name to mine, failing miserably but not telling anyone, the bill didn't get paid!! :oops: :oops:

Why I had a problem with my OS I have no idea, was a bit tragic. BUT, I do know if I'd had the same problem with Windows, there's no way I'd have been able to sort it out myself! It would have been at the PC hospital for weeks and cost a fortune. As it is this hasn't cost me anything but a huge amount of time and massive frustration, not there yet but am making progress which is giving me some satisfaction. :D
Kathy
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Here is a track to cheer you up until it is running again! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQuDk3z25Ko
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

:lol: :lol: Thanks Sue!
Kathy
Windy

Post by Windy »

I feel for you - recently lost a days work on my websites on my Macbook - working outside so no connection to Time Machine (yes I know I can probably set up a wifi link but I hadn't worked out how) and reinstalled Xampp.

Unlike Windoze the Mac appears to delete everything (it just works you see...) instead of overwriting. Lesson learned.

You know maybe Bill Gates isn't actually the spawn of the devil you know!
Essar

Lost everything

Post by Essar »

Not to sound like "shut the stable door after the horse has bolted" advice, but ...

I have had been using PC's & Macs since the early eighties and the one thing I learnt over time is to always backup my stuff, I like you Katiegirl have learnt the hard way, several times!
I use a small external disk drive attached to a USB port, comes with its own backup software and takes a backup every 4 hours, keeps them for 7-days and then deletes the oldest. This way I have several dozen backups so I can selectively restore the one file I want or the whole lot when it all goes pop!

Only £60 odd from PC World made by Verbatim Model No 53026, holds 500GB. You can also use it to move files from one computer to another, or just to keep backups. I also save my website files to it everytime I make a change.

I do sympathize I have spent hours, nay days, of my life sorting out computers.
There's nothing worse than that feeling of "Oh b&%"$&* I've just lost the lot".

I'm sure your'll get the website files back from the webserver, they'll still be there even if you haven't paid the bill.

Steve
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
lorca

Post by lorca »

Good luck Kathy -sounds like a nightmare!
If not now, when?
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Is there any way you can retrieve it via archive.org or through the Google cache? Either of those should enable you to recover the text at the very least...

Good luck.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Windy

Post by Windy »

I use a small external disk drive attached to a USB port, comes with its own backup software and takes a backup every 4 hours, keeps them for 7-days and then deletes the oldest. This way I have several dozen backups so I can selectively restore the one file I want or the whole lot when it all goes pop!
I do similar (but don't forget that with a laptop you may not always be connected to it which is what caused my problem).

In fact I have a belt and braces approach with TWO hard drives (as they are now so cheap) - hard drive failure on your back up when you need it doesn't bear thinking about, and I keep one off site all the time.

@KC - the wayback machine - http://web.archive.org/ is another possible source of old code (or is that the same thing as the one without web. ?
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Windy wrote:@KC - the wayback machine - http://web.archive.org/ is another possible source of old code (or is that the same thing as the one without web. ?
Sorry, yep... that's the one I meant. If you go to archive.org you get a search box up near the top middle where you can enter the web address into the wayback machine.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.