Online Booking - Is it worth it?

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
Ed

Online Booking - Is it worth it?

Post by Ed »

I'm considering adding online booking to my personal website. I'd be interested to hear from any of you that have done the same.

What software are you using and have you found it worthwhile having online booking on your website?

PayPal seems to be the simplest solution, but the commissions are quite high.

Any help much appreciated.
Essar

On-line bookings

Post by Essar »

Ed when I set up my websites I spent a lot of time looking at different payment options and how to integrate them into my site. As you say PayPal is the easier solution, but by no means easy, as you don't have to have a merchant account with your bank. In the end I decided against it as the majority of my payments are received using Bank Transfer (only 2 by personal cheque in 3-months). I do offer PayPal as a payment method so if someone already has a PayPal account they can pay to my email address the amount agreed - I do add the 3.4% handling fee for doing this, so far no takers! They can use their debit/credit cards to settle PayPal Invoices (I offer this as well, it is an alternative - take a look on PayPal - quite nifty!).
Even my German and Danish bookings have paid by DT, I think people don't like having to pay the handling fee, I will not absorb it either.
I have a Reservation Form on my website that I created using Wufoo (www.wufoo.com) it costs $14.99 to join and you can set up 10 different forms yourself, integrate them into your site. Any changes you make to a form on Wufoo is immediately reflected on your site, it's great to use and easy to make good looking forms. There is a free subscription that includes 4-forms (I think) but I found once I started I needed more than 4.
http://www.one-one80.co.uk/bournemouth_ ... ooking.htm
Steve
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
Ed

Post by Ed »

Thanks Steve. That's good to know. I don't want to go through the hassle of setting something up if nobody is going to use it. I thought perhaps holiday makers would feel more comfortable paying by credit card because they are then covered by PayPal or the credit card company to some degree.
964kevin

Post by 964kevin »

I use Paypal, it's been the most successful so far, Google checkout I have one booking in 18 months, not exactly great.

I am also paying for, but not yet receiving Worldpay so I can take credit cards directly, as some of the booing requests I have received have not used Paypal...

It's a very protracted worldpay system which has been ongoing for a month now and still not activated.....I'll let you know if it makes any difference to the bookings in the future.

Kevin
http://www.encantada-vacation.com

Our little piece of Florida, never get tired of being there. Love it and the people to bits.
Nerja

Post by Nerja »

I am wondering about adding online booking to my property - ie the ability for people to book and pay iimmediately for an available week, rather than have them email first.

I am sure/hope this would increase the take up rate.
CharlieOx

Post by CharlieOx »

An interesting topic. I opted out of online booking as I felt it takes away the personal element to the booking. Also we do not accept stag or hen parties and such bookings could slip through without direct contact.

I think online booking is ok if you're a hotel but for self-catering I would consider a decent enquiry page on your website instead. Yes it means replying but less chance of misunderstandings, poor bookings, unhappy guests, bad reviews etc!! Just my opinion.

Re: payment - I used to use PayPal but the charges just got too high. I now send a link via PayPoint.net to a secure online payment after the booking is confirmed. Easy and only 16p per transaction for debit cards....
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

CharlieOx wrote:Re: payment - I used to use PayPal but the charges just got too high. I now send a link via PayPoint.net to a secure online payment after the booking is confirmed. Easy and only 16p per transaction for debit cards....
Can you give any more info on this? Do you have a set monthly charge, how does it work etc?
Essar

Online bookings

Post by Essar »

The main reason to use an on-line booking form is that they accept and agree to your terms and conditions, I use a tick box that must be ticked before the form can be submitted.
My confirmation email is my acceptance of the booking and at this point a contract is made (it's in the terms and conditions). Of course you have to make your T & Cs available on-line for them to view but in my experience very few bother looking anyway and just tick the box (Google analytics confirms this).

I do have telephone conversations with the guests when they call to book but I always insist they complete the on-line form, it also save time on the phone. The information is likely to be more accurate as the guests have written it themselves, so no wrong post codes and telephone numbers.

Steve
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Towards the end of last year, we discussed a lot of this but its always worth re-visiting as times change.

Its a topic I am deeply interested in and have been beavering away since last November to offer instant on-line reservations on your own website through the PIMS Rental Management System. Its due for release in October this year, but you can experience the guest's view of the process at my test site. This is a mythical typical owner's own website, but contrived to test out the wide variety of ways that different owners wish to offer such facilities.

Do try it out at GBVacations, where you are welcome to make a reservation to stay at any of these mythical properties.

Each property has differing "rules" on what it will allow you to book and how they will quote your charges. For example, it may have fixed changeover days, minimum length of stay, maximum occupancy, special Short Break rates etc.

You will not be able to double book any dates - even if someone else has only sent an enquiry.

NB: This only creates a confirmed reservation, it will not ask you for any money. We're not talking here about a payment system, just an instant booking system.

NB2: The system is still in Beta, so may have some rough edges.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

One thing would be good is if they could not put in an earlier arrival time than your check-in time, or a later departure than your check out time. Might that be possible?
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Try making a reservation from the Windsor page (not from the Home page) :wink:

... The forms can be (almost) whatever you want them to be for each property separately - if you need that too.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Ed

Post by Ed »

Thanks everyone for your input, it's much appreciated.

I am still considering PayPal as a means of taking payment, but not sure whether I should use it directly or set it up via a booking service.

It looks like there's some interesting info in that thread e-richard pointed out. I haven't had time to digest it all yet, but i'm sure it will help with the decision making process.

Thanks,
Ed
MyVRZone

Post by MyVRZone »

Ed,

I've integrated PayPal payments in to the myvrzone.com management software, so the guests just click to pay and the system takes them to the correct page - any amount paid is recorded with their reservation automatically (including refunds). This makes using PP very easy for the owner and the guest.

The system allows the guest to book online after you've provide a quote to them (unless you want them to book online without one). So, they send a request, you check them out and send them a quote (one or more if there are different options) and then they can book one of those quotes online.

This gives the owner control over who can book, but has the guest complete the reservation form themselves, agreeing to the terms and conditions, minimum age and comprehension of the cancellation policy.

Cheers,
Neil
www.MyVRZone.com - Vacation Rental Management Software
www.emeraldislandorlando.com - Emerald Island Resort VR
www.windsorpalmsorlando.com - Windsor Palms Resort VR
Jenny D

Online booking - Is it worth it?

Post by Jenny D »

Although having only just joined LMH, I've been a fan from the beginning (how many years ago was that?!).

Having owned and/or managed 7 apartments for a number of years we eventually sold up, moved to a different area and bought a holiday cottage. Almost from the beginning we have used the excellent Five Star System online availability and booking - www.five-star-systems.co.uk which removes all the stress and hassle and is worth every penny of what we think is a cost-effective annual fee. It is equally effective for those owners who want as little contact with the guests as possible as it is for those who believe in the personal touch from the outset.
Last edited by Jenny D on Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MyVRZone

Re: Online booking - Is it worth it?

Post by MyVRZone »

Welcome Jenny,

Can you let us know the pricing as it's not apparent from their website.

Thanks,
Neil

PS: The link has a "," at the end that you may want to edit out of your post.
Jenny D wrote:Although having only just joined LMH, I've been a fan from the beginning (how many years ago was that?!).

Having owned and/or managed 7 apartments for a number of years we eventually sold up, moved to a different area and bought a holiday cottage. Almost from the beginning we have used the excellent Five Star System online availability and booking - www.five-star-systems.co.uk, which removes all the stress and hassle and is worth every penny of what we think is a cost-effective annual fee. It is equally effective for those owners who want as little contact with the guests as possible as it is for those who believe in the personal touch from the outset.
www.MyVRZone.com - Vacation Rental Management Software
www.emeraldislandorlando.com - Emerald Island Resort VR
www.windsorpalmsorlando.com - Windsor Palms Resort VR