One website or two?

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
stork

One website or two?

Post by stork »

I am trying to get around to reworking our website, and I would like some thoughts on how to structure the content.

We have two main groups of info: what has directly to do with our accommodation and rental, and some which is more general info.

As we are going to increase the General Info (also with more pictures), I wonder if I should split it off in another website with links back and forth, or try to keep it in one with some restructuring.

Your thoughts?
DaveN

Post by DaveN »

Hi Stork,
I can't see how having two sites would help?

A good proportion of our direct traffic (i.e. from search engines rather than hoiday rental sites) comes from matches with our 'local area' information, rather than searches specifically for hoiday accommodation. Sometimes these vistors don't look at the cottage information, but some certainly do, and we have had bookings on the back of it.

Unless the other content is completely unrealated to your apartments, I'd combine it into one.

Cheers
Dave
Open for business.
stork

Post by stork »

It could make organisation of content and thereby navigation simpler.

I got the thought after finding if difficult to put more photo albums and other material on the site in a way people actually find it.
Essar

2 Websites

Post by Essar »

I agree with DaveN stick with one website.

Use two menu bars; the Main one across the top as normal, with your HOME, TARIFF, AVAILABILITY, etc and a second down the left hand side in column format with all your subsidiary stuff.
Have a look at http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?utm_source=goo ... oup=Wiggle
stork

Post by stork »

Thanks, that site is worth a second look.

I know there are loads of sites handling much more content than mine, the art is how to do it in an attractive _and_ userfriendly way.
donafe

Post by donafe »

Stork,

I don’t know if you still follow this thread but someone else might have come across the same question. There might be a reason to keep both sites – but it would depend on your objective.
1. If you rely on organic search results or offline marketing in Denmark – having a local TLD might help.
2. If you rely only on the listing sites – it probably doesn’t really matter.
Have a look how much organic traffic you are getting globally and from .dk (google.dk for example) and you should get an idea if there are any advantages of keeping both domains.
With regards to the management – I wouldn’t worry about it. You do need to rethink the structure but it all can be done.
Martha

Post by Martha »

I used to have two but now combine them. It's much better for SEO and I can see from my stats that guests use that part of the site loads. Plus it leads many people to the site - chances are, if they are interested in local activities, they may be interested in accommodation!
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix