domain name advantages

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
elena

domain name advantages

Post by elena »

Hi, We are currently on page 2 of Google for the search phrase Dordogne holiday cottages.

I also have the domaine name www.dordogne-holiday-cottages.net and had intended to re direct/point it towards the main site www.lescrouquets.net

Now I want to start a blog and am wondering if in terms of SEO there is any advantage over publishing the blog to the new domain and linking it to the main site or if it would be better to go with the original idea of redirecting the new name and then publishing the blog to another domain (eg www.dordogne-gites.info) and linking that to the main site instead.

Or is this not really recommended?
Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Many thanks,
Elena
Dordogne Holiday Cottages
Essar

Persoanl Websites

Post by Essar »

If you forward or aliase your DORDOGNE..NET to LESCROU..NET then you have no SEO benefit from the good domain name you bought. It will never show up in search engine indexes unless it has its own website, it will only ever forward when someone types in the domain name itself.

I have a website www.seven-bluewater.co.uk and a domain www.seven-bluewater.com when you type in the latter it simply acts as an alias to the .co.uk site (the one your actually looking at). When you search for holidays in Bournemouth the .com never ever shows up. I got it so no one else could have it and protect my brand!

If your website was on the DORDOGNE..NET domain then the benefits would be great. The disadvantage of transferring the present LESCROU website to DORDOGNE would be the loss of all your page ranking efforts unless, you go to a great deal of time and trouble of creating the individual page links, your web developer will be able to advise you.
january

Post by january »

I can understand doing this as a forwarding alias, but as far as buying it to protect brand name seems unescessary.
Using this logic might also have to buy sevenbluewater.com, sevenbluewater.co.uk, seven_bluewater.com, seven_bluewater.co.uk plus of course all the .net and other tld's
Essar

Domain names

Post by Essar »

The ones that count are .com and .co.uk.
CSE

Re: Domain names

Post by CSE »

Essar wrote:The ones that count are .com and .co.uk.
Surly that statement is not quite correct if you have a business outside the US or UK is it?
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Essar

Domain names

Post by Essar »

I was refering to my business example and why I value the domain suffix, not business in general.
january

Post by january »

yes totally agree with that, but sevenbluewater.com, sevenbluewater.co.uk, seven_bluewater.com, seven_bluewater.co.uk are all available, and I expect still will be in a few years time.
There are just too many close variants.

Domain aliases are good for directing traffic to your main site, but IMO acquiring variants for brand protection is more suited to Harrods or JohnLewis for example.
CSE

Re: Domain names

Post by CSE »

Essar wrote:I was refering to my business example and why I value the domain suffix, not business in general.
I see; I was referring to the OPs question to which I thought you had given an answer...as once said "I got it wrong again, Dad"
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.