Exchange link with my website ?

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
tybihan

Exchange link with my website ?

Post by tybihan »

I am french and renting a little gite for holiday or short stay in Brittany. As you probably know it is important to do maximum of link exchanges to be well seen in search engines.
If you are interested just let me know ! Thank you :wink:
A little bit of England

Link exchange and site review.

Post by A little bit of England »

Hi

What a wonderful area you live in! I used to live in South Devon and quite often used to go across to Roscoff from Plymouth, either for the day or a long weekend, although I am ashamed to say I never ventured further afield than Morlaix. Wonderful scenery, lovely people, delicious food. I would be more than happy to exchange links with you, although my establishment is geared more to passing through than long stay guests.

I have looked at your site and glanced through the source code. It appears to be nicely put together, easy to navigate with some nice photographic work (although I confess that is not my area of expertise). The photo page did seem to have a little too much "white space" to my eye, but all in all a nice site.

On the more technical side, your title tags are a little long for optimum SEO (11 words/70 characters max) and you haven't enabled Google analytics for the English part of the site, so you may be missing some traffic statistics. You still score 88% and 89% with the SEO tool I use, so nothing to really worry about.

www.alittlebitofengland.es
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. Samuel Langhorne Clemens
tybihan

Post by tybihan »

Thank you very much for your message. I just have a look also to your website which is very nice. For your guidance our gite is 20 min from Morlaix, on the way to Huelgoat (you probably heard about the legendary forest very popular there). I know that I have to develop my english page and this is part of the reason I am looking for exchange links from owners who are out of France. :wink:
GoDot

Re: Exchange link with my website ?

Post by GoDot »

tybihan wrote: As you probably know it is important to do maximum of link exchanges to be well seen in search engines.
That's not really true.

Google can penalize sites that engage in link farming in attempts to manipulate rankings.

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/L/link_farming.html

http://www.google.com/support/webmaster ... opic=&type
january

Post by january »

I really can't see that Tybihan's request can equate to, or be misconstrued as link farming.
It is fair request from a travel and accommodation related website with PR3 homepage and PR2 ( ok a little jumbled ) accommodation related links page.
I for one am quite happpy to exchange links with genuine holiday accommodation websites.
GoDot

Post by GoDot »

http://www.google.com/support/webmaster ... swer=35769
Don't participate in link schemes designed to increase your site's ranking or PageRank
http://www.google.com/support/webmaster ... opic=&type
This is in violation of Google's Webmaster Guidelines and can negatively impact your site's ranking in search results. Examples of link schemes can include:
  • Excessive reciprocal links or excessive link exchanging ("Link to me and I'll link to you.")
Do it at your own risk. A few links will probably be fine. A large number of reciprocal links is a bad idea.
january

Post by january »

From the same google advice page that you have quoted from: -
Your site's ranking in Google search results is partly based on analysis of those sites that link to you. The quantity, quality, and relevance of links count towards your rating. The sites that link to you can provide context about the subject matter of your site, and can indicate its quality and popularity.
It is all about quality related links.
GoDot

Post by GoDot »

That's fine, if you ignore everything else they say about link schemes and reciprocal links :)
january

Post by january »

Ok Touche ! - lets leave it at that :)
davedeighan

Links

Post by davedeighan »

Hello Tybihan

Happy to post a link from our French site www.rentvillalanguedoc.com to you in return for a link to our Irish cottage www.holidaywicklow.com

Kind Regards

Dave
GoDot

Post by GoDot »

I wouldn't really worry about it if it's only a couple of links, especially if they're from friends sites.

You probably shouldn't go down the road of stuffing your footer with dozens of links.

A lot of the free directory sites run reciprocal link schemes, those should avoided in particular.

Quite often you will find that they nofollow the link back to your site. Essentially, they get thousands of quality inbound links, but don't pass any of that link juice to the links going out from their site.

It creates a site with lots of links and high PR, which they then monetize with ads, or sell on to someone else for a hefty price.
january

Post by january »

Yes GoDot we all know this stuff, but its not what Tybihan is offering, take a look at the site it has only a related links - hardly a link farm.
GoDot

Post by GoDot »

Fair enough.
From Google:

Don't participate in link schemes designed to increase your site's ranking or PageRank....

This is in violation of Google's Webmaster Guidelines and can negatively impact your site's ranking in search results. Examples of link schemes can include:

Excessive reciprocal links or excessive link exchanging ("Link to me and I'll link to you.")
Getting links from link exchange sites like linkmarket.net, or participating in other link schemes, is probably closer to the ""Link to me and I'll link to you" schemes that they're talking about :wink:

http://www.croatianlocations.com/related-links.html
paolo

Post by paolo »

Please don't post links to dodgy link sites.
Last edited by paolo on Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Nerja

Post by Nerja »

What are the panel's thoughts on a webring? So rather than just straight link exchanges, a ring of everyone who is interested.