Hosting Packages

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

As it was a template site, I was not able to keep an offline backup. I jumped into moving without thinking, and becaues I was unable to redirect it yesterday I have now lost it completely. The website creator that I used is no longer available and is not supported. I do have a new site in progress with promotemyplace.com , but until I can confirm that the domain has been moved, I can't redirect it there.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I did ask them not to iniate transfer of the domain until my contract expired, but looks like they have relinquished mine all to readily.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Ah, really sorry Helen. Nightmare scenario for many of us I'm sure. Hope you get it sorted very quickly. :(
Windy

Post by Windy »

Just as a PS I also use WHUK on a a reseller package and host a number of domains there - great uptime - service is not bad either - can be a little frustrating at times but at least you CAN talk to them and they normally do react quite quickly and well.

A great change from some I've used!
Richy

Post by Richy »

Just to add my 2 p worth.
http://www.5quidhost.co.uk/ or for resellers http://www.tentahost.co.uk/

Not the cheapest in the world but tec support and range of options fantastic. Also moved from 1 & 1 if you want more than a standard website 1 & 1 not the people to host with.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Only two issues with WHUK,
I asked them via Live Chat if I could change nameservers myself, they said no, which is not true.
Secondly the nameserver change I asked them to do for me was not done.
Windy

Post by Windy »

That may have been the way they understood the question

With a simple hosting package I don't think you can change the nameservers used by your site and there is no real reason why you want to. I am guessing you mean you wanted to redirect site visitors to the nameservers at WHUK.

You can change which nameservers used to acess your site at your domain registrar. That is normally NOT the same people who host you site (and ideally shouldn't be as if they go pop having them both together really does add to the stress).

With my VPS I CAN change the actual namservers used but I am guessing that's really what you meant. (Forgive me if I am making assumptions and jumping to conclusions here!)

I think there may have been some crossed wires here with the support techs.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I also moved the domain as it was about to expire, and I was not allowed to keep the domain with 1and1 without hosting. I am going to host the Wordpress stuff on WHUK, but for the time being I've put chamoissiere.co.uk with Promotemyplace. I have found out how to change the nameservers myself,in my Client Area, which I was initially told I couldn't do.
I will eventually move the registration when I can.
Windy

Post by Windy »

I will eventually move the registration when I can.
I really WOULD do that - I had a host go bump who also held my domain registration so I couldn't move the site until I finally, and very luckily, got hold of someone who could and would change the nameservers associated with the domain reg.

That's a week i wouldn't choose to relive!
BlueSkyBlueSea

Post by BlueSkyBlueSea »

I can recommend http://www.tsohost.co.uk/. They are based in the UK, you can phone them up and get an immediate answer and emails sent have all been replied to within 5 minutes. I really cannot fault them and I have been with many hosts in the past. I am a web designer by trade and on another forum I frequent that is all about the web TSO are recommended above all others. I moved 2 years ago based on what I read and they have exceeded even the glowing reports they received on the forum. They are also very good value for money.