where to buy in Spain

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
ourinns

where to buy in Spain

Post by ourinns »

Hi,

We're thinking of buying another property in Spain and were wondering where would be best to buy.

We've narrowed down our ideas to two basic regions:
1. the northern coast, most likely around the Santander to Bilbao area but perhaps further west into Asturias.
2. Andalucia, towards the coast but inland a bit, roughly between Seville and Granada (although probably not as far inland as either).

I don't think right on the coast is really for us hence "inland a bit".

At the moment we're looking at both self-catering and also big B&B/small hotel type properties as we're not sure whether to just get a place to rent out for the summer and live in for the winter or if it might be simpler to go the whole way and relocate to Spain.

Anyway, any thoughts on those areas and what the market is like in them?

Thanks,

Arnold
mvus

Post by mvus »

Inland Andalucia between Seville and Granada is very beautiful in winter but it's roasting in the summer (many leave because of the heat)

The houses are cold ( and I really do mean cold) inside in the winter. It's a far more extreme variation in temperature than the coast. Non-heated pools can be used from around late June to late September.

Very difficult to get a B&B off the ground other than summer but you'd need air con unless you get an old cortijo with really thick walls and small windows
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

pja,
The houses are cold ( and I really do mean cold) inside in the winter. It's a far more extreme variation in temperature than the coast.
I'll endorse that. I have family and friends who live a little inland in Spain. Respectively, Valencia, Altea, Mojacar and Fuengirola. Inland, without exception they are very hot in summer and can be very cold in winter. The extremes are extreme. Air-con in the summer and central heating in the winter are essential.

Arnold, you and I live in inland South West France and we think we know about seasonal differences. Multiply the differences a couple of times and you will know what slightly inland Spain can be like.

Don't get me wrong. My choice would always be Spain but the compromise with Joan is Provence or South West France.

Alan
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

I agree with all the advice given so far about buying too far inland from the coast. We have friends that lived in Antequerra and it is extremely hot (with no breeze) in Summer and in Winter, extremely cold and damp. The nearer to the coast, the more favourable the weather. At least in the Summer you get the sea breeze which people living inland do not benefit from.

There are quite a few places that are between 1/2 to 3/4 hours drive from the coast i.e. Cartama, Alora, Pizzara, Alhaurin el Grande, Coin....but it would all depend on your budget...obviously the further inland the cheaper the properties.
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

I would suggest looking to the east of Malaga, from Rincon along to Salobreña. If you are not familiar with the coast along this stretch, you'll find it's very different from the coast to the west and you may find it more to your taste. Otherwise go inland from these areas, for instance Lake Viñuela is very nice.
Along the stretch that I have suggested property prices are still quite reasonable, (Nerja is more expensive). although they are rising as more tourism moves into the area.
The extension of the motorway is also going to help tourism in the area as will the new golf course being built at Nerja, and the proposed Marina.
Going north from Malaga, Iznajar on the Cordoba border is also a lovely area and becoming popular, but as has been mentioned you will get the extremes of temperature there.
Torox is known as having the best climate in Europe and as I live near there, I can certainly vouch for it.
Good luck.
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

I've just noticed that the original post was written in December, so decisions have probably been made by now, sorry.
brenda

Post by brenda »

Agree with kayley that Lake Vinuela area is nice - OK I´m biased as our B+B is here but it really does provide the best of all worlds with beautiful country/mountain scenery yet just 15 minutes from the coast of the eastern Costa del Sol. Can recommend excellent local Estate Agent if interested.Image