A22, Toll road April 2011

For topics that are specific to Portugal, please go here.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

A somewhat more "official" source, AFPOP (Association for Foreign Residents and Property Owners in Portugal) writes:
(my bolding)
You may have seen in the news that the government was expecting a decision to inform whether or not they were going to introduce the Tolls on the A22 next week. We have been aware of this rumour for some time and have been waiting for a decision to be made and circulated before we passed information to Members. We are now able to confirm that the “Ministério das Obras Públicas” has confirmed yesterday that the government will not be introducing the tolls on the four Scut motorways scheduled for the 15th of April. The process is now on hold until the result of the elections in June. This decision stems from a decision from the legal Centre of the Presidency of the Council of Ministers (CEJUR), whereby the introduction of tolls by a government management would be unconstitutional.

The Portuguese Constitution states that an Executive under these circumstances can only act on matters strictly necessary for the management of public affairs.
It appears that the implementation of tolls in SCUT Algarve, Beira Litoral, Beira Alta and Beira Interior and the Interior Norte of the country, requires a fundamental legislative and political innovation, which entails a revision of the terms of concessions to introduce road tolls and its scheme of exemptions and discounts.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Rogthedodge

Post by Rogthedodge »

Richard, thanks for posting that info. Excellent news, for now. Trouble is the car hire companies will now go on the back burner and not try and sort the problem, As said by others is is not the toll, more how to pay without getting ones leg lifted. Porty can do with all the help that we can give it.

\thsnks again

Rog
Deary me am I real.

www.holiday-rentals.com/52179
Tom Hart

Post by Tom Hart »

Does anyone have any information regarding when the new tolls will be implemented?
CSE

Post by CSE »

Tom Hart wrote:Does anyone have any information regarding when the new tolls will be implemented?

In the south? Dates have yet to be confirmed, it is said that the new government has more important things to deal with at the moment.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
stork

Post by stork »

According to "the Resident" from 9 July, it will come in late August or early September. Hire cars will operate similar to foreign-registred cars, whose owners can hire a transponder for a deposit of €27 + min prepayment of €50. Upon return, the owner will be credited/debited according to use.

I fear what the N125 will be like.
Tom Hart

Post by Tom Hart »

Yes, I saw that as well. I don't think the hire car operators will do that. Up here in the North after 9 months of the tolls operating, I know from first hand experience that the hire companies are doing nothing! Not even telling clients about the tolls.
CSE

Post by CSE »

News from the Northern end of Portugal (with the operating system). Car hire companies are not informing their customers about the system and how to make payment. The local press has said not one Spaniard has been fined for using the electronic tolled roads without paying. It seems thee gantries cannot read anything other than Portuguese plates.
Tom Hart

Post by Tom Hart »

Sorry to bring up this old problem again, but I am led to believe that the tolls on the remaining roads will come into force soon.
I have just had the first visitor who was told anything by a hire car company ( after 11 months of operation). Hertz said "go to the Post Office and pay after two days". He is now very worried about how he pays when he returns to Porto airport.
I am worried that there are 6 gantries between us and the A1 on the A25. When these start it will become at least a 20€ cost to go to and from Porto! These tolls are not going to endear us to visitors!!!!!!
CSE

Post by CSE »

Tom I highlighted the payment problem in my article on Slow Travel (link given in a previous posting, in this discussion).

I have not heard of one-car hire company warning customers about the tolls when picking up the hire car. But I do understand that the toll can be paid almost immediately, or in advance.
Tom Hart

Post by Tom Hart »

The toll value (on a Portuguese registered car) is NOT available for two working days! If you manage to find somewhere to rent a pre-pay box I believe the charge is €50 euros.
Tom Hart

Post by Tom Hart »

I drove to Porto and back today. The new toll signs are going up all along the A25, so not long now!
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Well, the April toll Date that was due to be implemented on October 15th (tomorrow) appears to have been postponed yet again :roll:

Read all about it !
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
tavi

Post by tavi »

CSE

Post by CSE »

Now the drivers face queuing to pay the tolls:
http://expresso.sapo.pt/turistas-fazem- ... 22=f717513
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Am I getting that right, Caz - people have to park their cars, get out and queue (in the rain as it happens) at a single machine to pay the toll?

Surely not, not even a civil servant could have thought that was a good idea. :shock:

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.