Your own website ... what software??

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
BlueSkyBlueSea

Post by BlueSkyBlueSea »

I am also a Dreamweaver user. It can be complicated to the novice but is worth sticking with for all its features. I would also advocate usind code view rather than design view to cut down on code bloat which is sometimes a crticism leveled at Dreamweaver.

For those that are using solutions based around flash a word of warning. More and more people arrive at my websites from mobile devices, iPhone and iPad being the two largest. No flash will work on these devices so you are potentially turning away business.
LaTour Gites

wbesites

Post by LaTour Gites »

Im so glad I found this post! Lots of ideas here...but which to choose. I currently use Google sites, but it is a bit difficult to get the results I need. I made another site with iowners, and that looks much more professional, and is easier to use, lets me have time to add my photos and info instead of messing with where it all goes! Problem- can I add links? have to! Languages? I really like this site, but considering Moonfruit according to what the LMH folks are saying...I dont think I have any more time/energy to do another site! I need to tend to the arriving guests...and the good weather...hehe! Any input would be great! :D
starcana

Post by starcana »

I recently ordered business cards from Vistaprint after advice on LMH and they're very good. They offer a free website + £2.99 a month after free trial. Has anyone used it and is it any good? I don't have a website yet as I've only taken bookings through agency but still feel I should have one.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Have a look at IOwners for a free website or promotemyplace.com .
LaTour Gites

Post by LaTour Gites »

I was looking at promotemyplace, not bad, and btw, I just added all my links to my iowners site, was super easy... I might be staying! They have a great advertising manual too!
Cotterdale

Post by Cotterdale »

I built mine with Dreamweaver and I have found it gets easier over time. Stick with it.
dmjarvis

Post by dmjarvis »

There are so many tools around that it's difficult to know where to start. When I started building html and php scripts around 8 or 9 years ago I used Dreamweaver. This was great, but the cost of keeping the product up to date became too high, so although I still use my old 2004 version from time to time I now tend to use a combination of the following tools to build and edit my websites...

1. Wordpress - a great FREE resource to help you quickly build good looking websites, with a huge range of plugins that should cover just about every piece of additional functionality you want to add. You can preview new pages and updates before publishing. Plus - unless you particularly want to install the environment on your own computer, it is all hosted so you will have access to it wherever you have an internet connection.

2. Notepad++ - I use this to edit php and html code. It's FREE, and works like notepad / wordpad except it highlights the text to show the syntax of whatever type of file you're using.

3. Various browser developer tools - these are FREE and very useful to try out quick changes to your website style. For example, here are some instructions for using the Google Chrome Developer Tools... http://code.google.com/chrome/devtools/ ... rview.html. Try browsing to a website page in Chrome, click the 'Wrench' icon (top right usually) and select 'Tools'-->'Developer Tools' to get started.

It really is worth looking around and trying different things out until you find something you're comfortable with. I think the days of the expensive development environment (incl. Dreamweaver) are numbered, as there are usually many really good FREE alternatives for what you want to achieve.
LaTour Gites

Post by LaTour Gites »

I went back to google sites... its true, must stick to it...Im learning as I go, but its fun! (addictive and time consuming too!)
A little bit of England

Web Building software

Post by A little bit of England »

A very useful tool is WebPlus X5 from Serif(UK) (www.serif.com). It is a full WYSIWYG web site design tool and comes complete with hosting for 6 months. The price tag of around £80 may put you off, BUT if you go to www.freeserifsoftware.com and download the free version (fully functional, but some features disabled), WebPlus SE (Starter Edition) the register it, you qualify for upgrade pricing on the full package, about £30 off. There is a lively user forum where there are loads of people prepared to give you help on just about everything, many of whom runn Web Design companies using the same software.

For my part, I use Notepad++, WebPlus X5 and Joomla! if I need content management. I can easily put Joomla into a WebPlus framework, so it works well.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. Samuel Langhorne Clemens
Shakir

Post by Shakir »

I highly recommend using 'resmania' for your vacation rental site's reservation system.
Its awesome!
I use it for all my vacation rental designs now as in my opinion it is the best there is and is now open source! SO very cheap :)

If anyone needs design, please feel free to visit my site and contact me.
Even just fro free advice.
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

I really have to thank Helen for putting my onto promotemyplace. I'd been wanting to change from my FrontPage site for ages and not been able to get my head around any other package/system. I'm really pleased with the site and how easy it was to use. Thanks Helen. :)
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Thanks Sue, I'm very happy with it too.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Maybe this will of help to someone?
Adobe web design tool "Muse" in Beta.
http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/desktop-app ... -40093684/
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I remember Ed was using promotemyplace when it was first mentioned and I suggested he post a separate thread about it. Never dreamed it would become so popular - it must be very user friendly! Perhaps I should head down that path..... :wink:
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

In case it was missed earler, YourHolidayMatters members get a discount when creating websites at PromoteMyPlace.

See yourholidaymatters.com for more info. Click on menu point for Owners
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !