Making text hyperlink in forum posts

To suggest improvements and additions to the forum, or ask about technical difficulties using the forum.
Wonkeye

Post by Wonkeye »

Can someone tell me if the following is the solution to linking through to a particular thread? I have long wanted to know how to do it, just googled it and come across some instruction on YouTube, unfortunately too small to see properly, but by following what he says and doing it step by step, I think I now know (except that it first didn't work but by practically sticking my eye on the screen I think I caught him out saying "backslash" once instead of "forward slash":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPGQoZbI ... re=related

Question: is there an easier way?
Here is the link I typed in to a place on laymyhat that seemed to work:
What I did was:
open square bracket=viewtopic.php?t=39close square bracket space here space another square bracket forward slash url close bracket

This is what it produced (fingers crossed!)
here
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Or to put it another way:

here
Wonkeye

Post by Wonkeye »

Yes, Greenbarn!

Now, however, in the process of composing a message, I tried clicking on BBCode, bottom left, and came up with explanations that I'd never seen before. Having done all that Googling, I now recognised that same url business under "Linking to another site", so the penny drops!

By the way, all this is for the benefit of other duffers like me!
paolo

Re: Making text hyperlink in forum posts

Post by paolo »

Wonkeye wrote: Now, however, in the process of composing a message, I tried clicking on BBCode, bottom left, and came up with explanations that I'd never seen before.
You don't want to click on bbcode, this is how you do it...

When you are writing a post, type or paste the url you want to link to, for example:

www.laymyhat.com

Now highlight all of the url and click on the URL button above the message you are typing. This will happen:

Code: Select all

[url]www.laymyhat.com[/url]
If you want a text link you need to put the url inside the first bracket like this:

[url=www.laymyhat.com][/url]
and add your wording between the two sets of brackets like this:

[url=www.laymyhat.com]Lay My Hat[/url]
which results in this

Lay My Hat
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Wonkeye

Post by Wonkeye »

That comes of trying to do things outside one's field of expertise. At least I can look it up here in future and do it step by step! Thanks Paolo.
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

If you just want to make the url clickable, you only need to write it like this - http://www.vins-strategies.com - and most browsers will automatically detect it as a link.

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
Wonkeye

Post by Wonkeye »

Yes, but what I hadn't up to now got my head round was how to link someone through to a particular page on LMH, so I guess that Paolo's answer is what I was looking for.