Anyone interested in guest blogging?

Services offered by owners that are relevant to the business of rentals.
kendalcottages

Anyone interested in guest blogging?

Post by kendalcottages »

Hi everyone

Not sure if this is the right place to post this... feel free to move if not. As some of you may know, I run a very popular travel blog (completely separate from KC) that was featured as one of the world's best travel blogs by The Telegraph a couple of years back and enjoys fairly good levels of traffic and lots of Facebook fans/Twitter followers.

Over the years, I've found it increasingly difficult to post regularly. At one time, it was over 200 posts a month going through, but nowadays it's more like 50 a month, so I've turned more to guest blogging to keep the content flowing. It's hopefully a win-win situation for all involved - the blog continues to get regular content (good for me and the blog) whilst the guest blogger gets a single line credit (and link) at the end of each blog post he/she makes.

Just to be clear, I'm not looking for people to post about their own travel businesses. Rather, guest bloggers post on items of interest (often but not always in their own locale) but with specific reference to the luxury end of the market. Perhaps you have a new top restaurant in your area that you could write about, for instance. (This way, you get to indirectly promote yourself by advertising your area.)

Looking for people who can post at least one item a week but obviously, the more you send, the more links/recognition you get.

I'm not sure if it's the 'done thing' so I'll refrain from posting the URL for now but, if Paolo spots this and says otherwise, I'll gladly post it. Otherwise feel free to PM me if it's something that would interest you. We also have a UK-specific (not luxury-related) travel blog where a similar opportunity is also available.

Thanks for reading.

Paul
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Medoc Bob

You can post this

Post by Medoc Bob »

I wrote this a few years ago for Brittany Ferries, you are more than welcome to post on your blog.

The one thing I really enjoy about living in France are the trips back to England, equally I like trips to the dentist, filling out my Tax return and paying bank charges! I think you get the picture, swapping the delights of Southwest France for the M25 and the Underground fills me with dread. Normally I try to make the process as painless as possible with a direct flight from Bordeaux and as little time in the UK as possible in case I get fined for over filling a bin or trapped on a commuter train into London.

However, this time was different…we had to take the car! Now this brought me out in a cold sweat as opposed to the hot sweat of 30-degree sunshine of France. Therefore, what were the options available to me…hmmmm…. drive to Calais for the Channel Tunnel or a speedy crossing to Dover. A quick check with the AA route finder ruled that out! Alternatively, one of the Brittany Ferries crossings from Caen or St Malo. Well with the driving reduced on this side, it had to be worth investigating. Memories of childhood holidays to Brittany conjured up the adventure of overnight sailings tucked up in my cabin or in later years trying to sneak into the disco. When cruising was for the elite this was the closest you came to a cruise and surely things had to be even better 20 (OK…30 years later). Therefore, a quick click to Brittany Ferries’ website, and I had booked Caen to Portsmouth, and you know what, I started to look forward to my trip to England.

We crossed the Gironde on a small car ferry (if you time it right it cuts hours off the journey). “Will the boat to England be like this?” asked my girlfriend’s 11 year old daughter, “No, its much bigger with a cinema, restaurants, entertainment, shops and we have a cabin” I enthused. “Oh I thought we would be on plastic seats for 6 hours” added my girlfriend. It was at that point I realised neither had travelled across the Channel this way and perhaps I should have shared more of the travel arrangements with them. They both however seemed happy with the prospect of shops and it was of course cutting hours off the drive I reminded them, as I was secretly praying my childhood memories weren’t through rose tinted lenses.

Arriving at Caen, check in was a doddle and we were on the boat and looking for our cabin within half an hour, this made a pleasant change from the usual two hour check in at the airport. “Let’s explore”, “breakfast first, shops later” I suggested to the girls, as the shops don’t open till the boat sails. I guess it has to do with change around or Duty free but I like to think it was to give me a civilised half an hour to get my bacon and eggs. For me that breakfast choice was simple, not so simple for an 11 year old who chose cereal, a selection of croissants and bacon & eggs! I guess it’s confusing for an English girl brought up in France, but who cares she was bound to leave something on her plate and lucky for me it was the bacon and eggs so whose complaining!

After fortification in the restaurant, it was time for some sea air and me to bore the pair of them with my days on a cruise ship. “Are the shops open Mummy”, I quickly butted in “Don’t you want to check out the Cinema, It’s Indiana Jones, it will fill up quickly” which as there are two cinemas on board was a bit of a white lie, but I knew she really didn’t want to miss out! Mum chose to miss out! and preferred to freshen up in the cabin instead, well each to there own. Indy was on top form, but as I am not writing a cinema review, I won’t digress. Did we make the shop? Well we all smell nice, and now have two gorgeous porcelain chickens in the front room and a great brandy in the drinks cabinet, so it’s safe to say we did….but at least I didn’t have to look at jewellery, shoes or handbags! (Well not until the return Journey I promised with fingers crossed)

Quick shower in the cabin and back to the car and now onto England, with the fear of motorways, tube trains and the bin police around every corner…..but as I looked back at the ferry, for some strange reason I was already looking forward to my trip back home.
Back in UK, our house in France is now back as a Holiday Home
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Sorry, Bob... we publish only unique articles that aren't already published elsewhere as Google doesn't tend to favour duplicate content all that highly.

Thanks anyway.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
paolo

Post by paolo »

It's OK to post the link. Please don't submit entries in this thread, use the link that Paul will supply below.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Thanks, Paolo... the site in question is this one: http://www.aluxurytravelblog.com

(and there's some guidelines and info for guest bloggers - and my email address - if you just tag /pr on to the end of that URL)

Our other blog for anyone in the UK is http://www.ukseries.com/blog

Again, tag on /pr to the end of that URL for similar further info.