Over Occupied - But Can I Prove It?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Mmmm, looks like I'm in a minority! :oops:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

GG, I would probably feel differently if damage had occurred, but in this case it doesn't seem as if there has been.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Yup, appreciate that. I haven't been in the situation yet so I might feel differently then I guess.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Giddy Goat wrote:Mmmm, looks like I'm in a minority! :oops:
That's cos you is special :)
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

But that is not the fault of the child, but the lack of supervision by the parents.
Hmmm, that's a bit 'new-age' for me. When I was a child, I clearly knew right from wrong and that I'd be punished if I misbehaved (and severely - punishment was physical when I was young). Didn't stop me doing destructive things to impress my friends when my parents weren't around to supervise me. So I'd say the fault lay with me and not with my parents, who had established firm guidelines of right and wrong that I'd chosen to ignore.

A couple of years back, two guests' children (around 10 years old) systematically trashed half a dozen solar lights leading to the pool. The parents were astonished and horrified that their perfect kids were capable of such vandalism and paid up without argument. The parents fault or ... ?

Jim
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Exactly Jim, when your parents weren't around to supervise you. They are meant to be spending a holiday with them, so surely they should be around.
Kids do have to be told right from wrong though , and I don't always think that is the case these days.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Unfortunately some parents today want completely "hassle free, relaxing holidays" and that includes not having to worry about or supervise their kids.
Marks

Post by Marks »

la vache! wrote:Unfortunately some parents today want completely "hassle free, relaxing holidays" and that includes not having to worry about or supervise their kids.
An often asked question is "Can I see the pool from the balcony so I can keep an eye on the children?" Well you can but the far side is 50 metres away and you will have to go down the stairs from the apartment, then 20 metres to the gate, unlock the gate and then run round the pool by which time it may be too late for little Johnny. In any case the pool rules clearly state children must be supervised.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
CSE

Post by CSE »

la vache! wrote:Unfortunately some parents today want completely "hassle free, relaxing holidays" and that includes not having to worry about or supervise their kids.
And some like to live life like that too. Image

Marks good luck with the email.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
lorca

Post by lorca »

...or clean up after them :shock:
Marks

Post by Marks »

Well, I've had a reply saying there were 5 adults, 1 child and a baby staying and that they 'forgot' to tell me. We've agreed on a refund of 50% of the security deposit.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

I've just had one (we sleep a max of 6) - It's a 2 bedroom place and the 2 extras have to use fold up beds in the bedrooms or lounge... so I DON'T want more than that! Also only 1 bathroom. I don't care if they don't mind 6 sharing one bathroom... I DO mind...

So the enquiry went:

Adults 2
Children 4 (17,14,12,7,5)

erm... I think you'll find, if you count it up, that you've forgotten a child there... or doesn't a 5 year old count as a child???
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

Just a thought, looking at the list of ages maybe they've got a 4 yr old as well! 8)
Fleur
Bridg1t

Post by Bridg1t »

OK..I am in the anti-over occupancy camp (excuse pun). I have had 2 instances (my flat sleeps & is advertised as 4 max), of 2 people staying for longish periods and negociating a discount and then having various visitors fairly permenantly during their stay.

Then, the second catagory of over occupancy mentioned here, in a property that sleeps, say 4 maximum, you think you're getting 4 guests, but actually you have 6 for the price of 4! I have experienced this too, and had sofa cushions put on floors to "make" a bed.

If you have a laid-back attitude to this practice, or are unmetred on services, then fine. But to me, offering luxury boutique style accommodation is converse to the idea of jamming people into living rooms and thus having no reception/amenity area and 6 people sharing, say, one loo. Undoubtably there is also more wear & tear, risk of damage.

This is not mentioned here, and it may be that FHL are exempt, but there are HMO regulations in the UK (meatied up in many cities including mine) which make it an offense for a landlord to have too many people in residential houses, for reasons of health, and fire risk/escape.

I could go on.....

So, for all those in my camp (not camp-bed), I think the clause prohibiting extra guests needs to be as strongly worded as possible. Repeated in the visitor manual (citing local authority & insurance reasons). You could instance in your arrival pack, along with where to buy such & such, "my group has changed" and point them to the local B&B if more people turn up than advertised.

If, none of this works, and, in the instance no damage is done, you are on that tight-rope again. A guest that has taken a liberty, and having no "structure" to retrospectively charge. You can't legally fine people in this country; due to OFT regs you have to make a charge & agree beforehand, or justify aftwards.

Therefore, what about, as well as prohibiting occupancy over "x", you say that

in very rare circumstances or a case of emergency extra guests will be considered, but this must be with permission of ll, and there will be a charge of £"x" levied. Then at least you have a structure for charging which you can point to. You are not condoning the behaviour, but if say, there is an unforeseen event; transport failure, accident and someone has to stay the night, (ie outside of the normally acceptable), you might concede they have no other reasonable choice. You would then use this, if, outside of an emergency or unforeseen event you had more than the stated no of guests.

Also, folks, just to say, I have been a complete weed, where this has happened to me, and not charged or challenged, but I will be less lenient in the future!!!!
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

Me too - we reduced the occupancy of our two bedroom apartment to 4 and took away the sofabed. All our listings state max occupancy as do our T&C. We often are not able to meet guests when they arrive (we have a keysafe) but know that on several occasions more guests have stayed, but again can't prove it. On one occasion we did meet and greet personally and they had another car parked round the corner with more guests - which we only found out afterwards.

We constantly get enquiries for 5 or more, most recently one for 5 adults and 3 children the response being 'thats ok the kids can sleep on airbeds on the floor' err no they cant and anyway its still five adults and not four!

We are happy to accomodate younger children and babies that don't need a bed but don't really understand the attitude. After all they wouldn't turn up with five people to a hotel where they have booked a double room and be allowed to stay.