Over Occupied - But Can I Prove It?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Marks

Over Occupied - But Can I Prove It?

Post by Marks »

Had guests leave the apartment yesterday, the booking was for three adults. On arrival this morning to do the changeover it was obvious that two people had slept in the double bed, both single beds had been used, the sofa had been slept on (cushions and blankets left there plus blond hairs one end and sand the other end), there has been a baby there (baby products left behind) and probably at least one child as there were half a dozen clothes hangers with Age 5 -6 and Age 9 - 10 on them.

I reckon a best 4 adults + 1 child + 1 baby and at worst 5 adults + 2 children + 1 baby. I have a clause in my T&Cs which state that only the people listed on the booking form can stay and if more people above the maximum number of 4 stay then the security deposit will not be refunded.

The problem is how do I prove it? Apart from losing the garage fob and key (without telling me) they left it OK, bathrooms a bit dirty and lots of grease in the kitchen but nothing untoward.

Do I front them out or just accept it?
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

That's a very difficult one.

You could 'sound them out' first and say that you noticed the beds had been slept in, but the booking was for 3 people... "did you have visitors?".

If they say 'yes' then I guess you have good reason to keep the deposit.

If they deny it and just say they changed beds because one was more comfortable than another, then I think it's very difficult for you. I wouldn't like to accuse someone without proof, however sure I was...
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I know it is odd, but for some reason people do 'forget' to mention that they are bringing children and babies with them, and seem to think it is ok for them to just stick them on the sofa. Perhaps the profusion of Travelodges and similar hotels are to blame?
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

A good reason to request people to specify on the booking form the number of adults and number of children. Does your form make provision for this Mark?

If the booking person has completed that form and then breaches it then you're on much firmer ground of course. Here's hoping this group will answer you honestly.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Marks

Post by Marks »

Giddy Goat wrote:A good reason to request people to specify on the booking form the number of adults and number of children. Does your form make provision for this Mark?

If the booking person has completed that form and then breaches it then you're on much firmer ground of course. Here's hoping this group will answer you honestly.
My booking form shows number of adults, children aged 5 - 16, children under 5. This group have signed for 3 adults......
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

I think I would definitely pursue this then Mark. Perhaps say something to the effect that you "have reason to believe that the numbers at the property during your stay exceeded the stated three adults; could you please confirm the exact occupancy level."

I'm just amazed that they made no effort to hide the evidence really. It's as if they simply didn't care one way or the other.

If they do make a clean breast of things (unlikely but wonders will never cease) then you can gently remind them of your Ts and Cs and say that although the property was left in a reasonable state, you will be deducting £X from the security deposit to cover your additional running costs. (Say 30% - what do others think?) If nothing else, they might learn something from it.

Luckily I have not had to deal with this - yet!
Last edited by Giddy Goat on Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Tizfata

Post by Tizfata »

I am sorry I can't help you but in the last few weeks I had 2 very strange requests for my max 8 adults/max 10 persons apartment.
A)
Enq: We are 5 couples
Me: You can have THAT apartment + the 1bedroom apartment.
The lady later calls me (Saturday morning, in a city, out with the dog, in a cafè, I go out and there is the bus... Very noisy) to tell me that they are 4 couples.
Me: OK, so you can have the 4 bedroom apartment.
Enq: OK, we would like to have it. Oh, did I mention there are also 4 children (some of them teenagers!)
Me: :shock:
B) This other enquirer wrote though H-R:
Enq: We are 5 couples + 5 children (13, 7, 3, 3, 1)
Me: You can have THAT apartment + the 2bedroom apartment. (15 people with 2 bathrooms, are you nuts!?!?!)
Enq: ..... Silence

It look like some parents think their own children are "foldable". I have been told: "he/she sleeps with us". What? I don't want you to have a miserable sleep when you are in my apartment!
https://www.facebook.com/lascuoladifurio

There's no second chance to make a first impression
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Tizfata wrote:B) This other enquirer wrote though H-R:
Enq: We are 5 couples + 5 children (13, 7, 3, 3, 1)
Me: You can have THAT apartment + the 2bedroom apartment. (15 people with 2 bathrooms, are you nuts!?!?!)
Enq: ..... Silence
Sounds like the 10 people I had wanting to check into our two-bedroom apartment...
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Marks

Post by Marks »

Tizfata wrote:I have been told: "he/she sleeps with us".
Ages ago someone was trying to get 4 adults and a child aged 6 into the apartment. "Dont worry, little Johnny will sleep with Grandma." I always wondered if Grandma knew :lol:
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

I don't think I could let it go without taking some action, Mark.

Do you have neighbours you could check with before contacting them ? Might put you on much firmer ground.
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
paolo

Re: Over Occupied - But Can I Prove It?

Post by paolo »

Marks wrote:they left it OK, bathrooms a bit dirty and lots of grease in the kitchen but nothing untoward.
So why would you want to punish them?
Paolo
Lay My Hat
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

paolo wrote:
Marks wrote:they left it OK, bathrooms a bit dirty and lots of grease in the kitchen but nothing untoward.
So why would you want to punish them?
Not sure it is a question of punishing them. It is just that if there were twice the anticipated number of people, and particularly if some were children, then almost certainly there will have been a much higher use of electricity and water than with just three adults, and given that they have flagrantly gone beyond what they agreed to, at the very least they should pay for this.

We had a similar situation in the summer - we never knew how many more but almost certainly two above normal occupancy (10) for at least one out of the two weeks. Given that we charge for water usage over a certain, generous amount because we are not on mains and it is very expensive, (it was exceeded but only by a tiny amount which we did not charge for) and that they had paid full high season price, we let it go without comment, but we are talking quite different percentages here.
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
Marks

Post by Marks »

paolo wrote:So why would you want to punish them?
I'm not.

The agreement was for 3 adults, at best there were 4 adults, 1 child and a baby at worst 5 adults, 2 children and a baby. That's what I'm not happy about.
Marks

Post by Marks »

pepsipuss wrote:Do you have neighbours you could check with before contacting them ? Might put you on much firmer ground.
My lady who normally does the changeover lives next door but is away on a cruise (I must be paying her too much :lol: )
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I agree with Paolo. If the extra people didn't cost you more than it would have had the original group broken a couple of wine glasses, and you wouldn't charge for that, why would you charge for this?
Brooke