What do you think????

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
Fi

What do you think????

Post by Fi »

We have been living in France for the past 4 years and have several properties we have renovated and now rent out locally. We have just agreed to purchase another property with the purpose of renovating/converting some of the buildings into holiday rental accommodation.

We had a meeting on site with our architect this morning who has suggested there is a demand for well located, converted and appointed holiday accommodation for large parties such as families and friends wanting to vacation together. In your opinion is this true and if so what would make your ideal holiday rental accommodation.

This is all part and parcel of our research/thought processes and any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Fi,

This is not advice, just a personal reaction to your question.

My self-catering holiday accommodation is very flexible and can cater for combinations of 2, 4, 6, 8 or 10 people.

If you provide real separate double and/or twin bedrooms (not bunk beds, beds in corridors, bed/settees or beds on shelves), lots of bathrooms/shower rooms/WC’s, generous kitchen facilities and plenty of living space, my experience is that there is definitely a market for properties which will accommodate the larger parties.

However, I would suggest that you might be disappointed at the level of interest. I couldn’t run my business around the larger parties but there are distinct advantages in being able accommodate them properly.

Alan
paolo

Post by paolo »

Fi,

I have also heard of this as a developing trend - going off in large family groups, with different generations; or a group of friends with similarly aged children. I can't remember where I came across that so I wouldn't place too much faith in it.

If you have several buildings you can be modular, as Alan suggests. I actually think that if you are in a well-known location you should cater for couples or pairs of couples. This allows you to go for year-round income.

But to answer your question, if I were renting somewhere well appointed with several properties as part of a group I would want:
- a good-size pool and pool-house with fridge
- somewhere we could all cook and eat together
- somewhere we could all sit together, preferably with a large screen and DVD player, and if possible I would like to be able to watch a movie under the stars in the summer
- a beautifully lit garden for night-time carousing
- things for children to do, anything from a games room to a field
- a lot of towels
- non-breakable glasses
- somewhere to play boules always sounds good and isn't hard to arrange
- if you're talking about well appointed, then things like a walk-in shower punch above their weight. By this I mean that they are nothing special, just a wall and an opening to walk through, instead of a door. But they sound luxurious and look good on your website.
- this is entirely personal and no help at all, but if you had a sauna, I would come. 8)
Paolo
Lay My Hat
tansy

Post by tansy »

Fi - we have 2 houses one sleeps 8 the other 10 - we are finding more and more 2 families come together or mum,dad, kids and grandparents. We've even had this year 3 babies under 6 months - the 3 couples had met at ante natal classes! We have 2 families that keep coming back with as they say the oldies - they can't keep them away! But both houses we have made it so there a distinctly different bathrooms for granparents...both houses have lots of space so folk aren't tripping over each other - seperate TV area to dining area etc.

But I would say that 75% of our bookings are folk sharing and are maximum occupancy....I've even been asked if it OK for tents to be put up so the teenagers can come!

But your chap giving you advice in my opinion is right.

Good luck with it all.
Fi

accommodation for large groups

Post by Fi »

Thank you one and all for your input.

I agree with the walk in showers Paolo - already on the list - I'll let you know when they're up and running and await your booking! The plan is to have two 3 bedroom split level apartments and a 5 bedroom house to start with. There will be a large indoor leisure area hopefully with sauna, jacuzzi, shower, snooker table, football table, etc., etc. We plan to have a heated pool - half inside, half out so that you can swim outside in the summer and be covered and cosy in the winter. There is a good sized southfacing garden which will have both areas for privacy and communicating. As we're about 25km from the ski slopes we're hoping to have this place running all year and have noted your comments on marketing and advertising globally. If all goes well some of it at least should be available for next summer season - builders permitting!
DivineMrsM

Post by DivineMrsM »

We are a large single property that sleeps 14+ in 7 double/twin bedrooms. So far we have let 13 weeks for next summer. It has been difficult in the past to let the non school holiday weeks, but then we hit on the idea of charge a per person rate at other times. This has meant that smaller groups can still afford to stay with us - better to have some money coming in than none!

I'm very envious of the leisure facilities that you have planned and I'm intrigued by the half and half pool...how does that work?
Lynne
for Metropolitan Retreat in London https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/6712284
and
Le Cheval Blanc in France https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/6714302
keithfenton
Location: property South west Corner of the dordogne St Meard de Gurcon. Me East Yorkshire

Post by keithfenton »

As we are planning to extend our house to 9 bedrooms this is an interesting topic for me
I agree with the bit about flexibility as per Alan if it is possible
we will have two houses of 4 bedrooms
and a one bed apartment for ourselves
My policy when first renting a house in France was to see how many different things they offered
The one I rented had mountain bikes that the others didnt have so I rented that
If I hear about a new facility I try to offer it
Begining to wish I hadent read Fi's comments as I now will have to have a sauna Jacuzzi etc we already have plans for a tennis court
The point is you need to offer all the facilities you can afford
My other important thing is all ensuite bedrooms
I know a man near us who has 5 houses all with 8 beds in each all ensuite and home cinemas he seems to do well

I also like MrsGreenfield offer lower rates for smaller groups out of season as the house will not go smaller than four bedrooms
I would like to develop this idea further and offer say a room for two people and then let another room to two not connected people sort of a cross between b & b and self catering any views on this
DivineMrsM

Post by DivineMrsM »

keithfenton wrote: My other important thing is all ensuite bedrooms
I know a man near us who has 5 houses all with 8 beds in each all ensuite and home cinemas he seems to do well
I think I've seen his places on the net before. Are they quite grand looking properties? I remember thinking they were nice.
Lynne
for Metropolitan Retreat in London https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/6712284
and
Le Cheval Blanc in France https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/6714302