What is a fair discount for a 3 month stay?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

Not much to lose by re-contacting them Bananacake.

Perhaps something along the lines of 'having discussed with the Other Half...'??
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
villinogambero

Post by villinogambero »

Bananacake, I think that an issue to consider when renting long-term in Italy is that you are subject to different rules (I mean rules set by law) compared to short term. Honestly, these rules sort of put me off...
All the best
Carmelo
joddle

Post by joddle »

I quite like long lets - normally I will negociate a heafty reduction in the prices but also make conditions for these such as they do their own cleaning and washing etc. I then save on loads of visits and washing and just leave them to get on with it. Of course it can have a down side as happened just last month when in the final weeks of a long let there was a problem with the electriciy supply due to a major incident in the building. Wiring was actually damaged leaving the tenent without reliable power so we had to compensate. No matter these things happen and could have occured with a normal let although the period of compensation would have been less.

I think depending on what sort of property and what overheads you would have will determine if a long let is going to work for you. All the major reasons for and against seem to have been covered in the above posts.
klompje

Post by klompje »

Just one word of caution and most probably your enquiry is genuine, but I have never received a long term let enquiry that was genuine they have all be scams. I am in France where in the off-season everything shuts down, so it is possibly a different story.
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

In my first year, so nothing to compare it with, but I have a 5 week let coming up Sept - Oct, and I have discounted 20%, without being asked, but I gave the exact € figure for the discount. I figured that my welcome bits, my cleaning time, laundry costs equate to about 20% of my costs. That is still twice the price I would do for a 6 or 9 month (student, 'non reconductible') let, but I am in France so the rules are different.
jayval

Post by jayval »

if it is a good booking and they will be paying in full, we will be happy not to charge them with the 12% tax.
Aldo

Post by Aldo »

I know this will come too late to be of any use to you, but do be aware of the implications that a last minute cancellation might mean for a long let. I had one such couple who cancelled a day into their two and a half month stay because one of them was allergic to something in the house. They made their case and I felt I had to show good will and gave them most of the payment back. I did not manage to rent any of the weeks cancelled even though some was over the Christmas period and ended up loosing what to us is a large amount of money. We have decided to not take any booking longer than three weeks in the future, however tempting the prospect.
limousin-cottage

Post by limousin-cottage »

From various ex-pat forums (France) I have been astounded at the 'give-away' rates being offered by some Brits to get their holiday homes occupied/heated over the Winter months. For example - I recently saw one ad offering a beautiful two bedroomed cottage, fully furnished and equipped, for only €300 per month.
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

They are 10 a penny in Spain. I recently 'lost' a 4 month let for next winter, I quoted my lowest ever, £99 a week, (thats what the advertised price was so he knew when he enquired) but he came back, said I was too expensive and he had seen loads for £60 a week (which there probably are) so I told him to go for them!
susanj

Post by susanj »

We wouldn't give any discount if peak season since we can easily rent those weeks at full price. Maybe just the cleaning fees.

In the off-season, we would do for a monthly cost what is a one week cost in peak time. At least someone told me that's the rule of thumb--we've never actually had anyone. So that is a 75% discount.

Sue
limousin-cottage

sjde wrote:We wouldn't give any discount if peak season since we can easily rent those weeks at full price. Maybe just the cleaning fees.

In the off-season, we would do for a monthly cost what is a one week cost in peak time. At least someone told me that's the rule of thumb--we've never actually had anyone. So that is a 75% discount.

Sue
Hi Sue - That is probably easily do-able in a warm climate. Wouldn't do for a letting where, like here, the Winter temperatures stay below zero for days or even weeks! With a 75% discount the rent wouldn't even cover the heating.
susanj

Post by susanj »

We aRE in a cold climate--the mountains. But the utilities would be extra, not included in the rent.
limousin-cottage

sjde wrote:We aRE in a cold climate--the mountains. But the utilities would be extra, not included in the rent.
:oops:

Now I see!
LaTour Gites

Post by LaTour Gites »

Ok, Im finding ideas on this thread! This is the 2nd time someone wants to rent for Sept '12 for the month. Thats my mid season, and somewhat popular because of the wine harvest (Im in SW France). I dont mind monthly rentals...actually Im doing one now for the month of July! -no discount, but I threw in the rental bikes for free-were both happy. The first week was a settle in, now we hardly see them unless we invite them for "aperos!". Anyway...Im considering the 20% off, which is not much, but the weather is still nice here. Maybe minus changeover costs too.. it is GREAT not having to do changeovers!!! hehe :roll:
brenda

Post by brenda »

We are offering a 20% discount for 28 nights from 1 November to 31 March.

Hope someone takes us up on this as it is perfect walking country/weather in the mountains surrounding us and 20 minutes away people can literally have a beach to themselves.