BBC Entertainment

For topics that are specific to Italy, please go here.
pambon

BBC Entertainment

Post by pambon »

Is it just me or are others who viewed this channel on Sky Italia suffering from withdrawl symptoms since Sky dumped them on March 1?

Any ideas on how to receive it from another source or country would be gratefully received. I'm a sucker for the medical dramas!
The Olive Grove

Post by The Olive Grove »

We receive it for my mum via an Astra satellite - will have to check with hubby which one, or you could probably get the details from BBC themselves. The satellite isn't any good for anything else though, from what I remember the rest of the satellite is used by some eastern companies. We pay about £120 a year for it I think from memory.
Don Ciccio

Post by Don Ciccio »

Channel 25 on Italian Digital Terrestrial is currently home to BBC World. Although it is mostly a documentary and News provider, they may well branch out into programming if lobbied enough by all the disgruntled Italian Sky viewers who no longer get BBC Entertainment.

For an upto-date list of the Italian 'freeview' digital terrestrial channel listings, see my previous post:

www.laymyhat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11400&highlight=

Another way is of course to use proxies to make BBC iPlayer think you are in the UK and watch stuff via that medium on your laptop, or relayed it onto your tellybox screen.

SKY are money-driven and evil and want to crush the BBC, so maybe its part of their gameplan.
pambon

Post by pambon »

Don Ciccio wrote:SKY are money-driven and evil and want to crush the BBC, so maybe its part of their gameplan.
Thanks Don Ciccio, I well know that SKY is greedy!!

Have found a website with satellite info but it seems we may be too far south to receive it on an Astra dish....

Another option may be blackvpn.com I am going to pursue all options open to me!!

BTW your digital channels are entirly different from mine! Tried yesterday to update them (unsuccessfully) so may have to call in the cavalary! BBC World has completely disappeared. This is the problem with digital TV, they are always bringing new channels onto it so one has to upgrade all the time - and if, like me, you can't do it...!!

There seems to be quite a lot of dissent about BBCE being slashed and not only from UK viewers but Italians too who have spent years in the UK and enjoyed watching programmes that aren't all nude girls running around!
Don Ciccio

Post by Don Ciccio »

pambon wrote: BTW your digital channels are entirly different from mine!

Blimey, I was only there a month ago and its all change yet again. Probably Berlusconi doing his friend Murdoch a favour and muscling the BBC off the free DVB channels so they can launch some opinionated biased news service for the proles like Fox. DC 'Sighs'....
pambon wrote: There seems to be quite a lot of dissent about BBCE being slashed and not only from UK viewers but Italians too who have spent years in the UK and enjoyed watching programmes that aren't all nude girls running around!
Sooooo true! Italian primetime on RAI 1 & 2 and the Mediaset options are obsessed with pairing 60 year old men and 20 year old long legged girls as hosts or talkshows, quiz shows and cookery shows. And, inexplicably working in choreographed dance routines for teams of bikini clad girls into these programmes. Luna Rossa-Luna Blu ring any bells...

Mind you, not far from the Brucie and Holly 'dream-team' of the BBC... Imagine if it was the other way round. Maybe thats the solution to Saturday night TV... Cilla Black and Ant or Dec??
lushsandwich

Post by lushsandwich »

just checking out your tip don

regards
simon
lushsandwich

Post by lushsandwich »

and again
sandwich
Don Ciccio

Post by Don Ciccio »

lushsandwich wrote:and again
sandwich
looks fine, works fine. glad i could help
pambon

Post by pambon »

Don Ciccio wrote: Blimey, I was only there a month ago and its all change yet again.

I called in the cavalry to check my digital channels yesterday to learn that for the moment we are on the wrong side, (overlooking Mt Etna) of Taormina for receiving BBC World News, to mention just one channel. Those at the other side of town, overlooking Reggio and the Straits of Messina, have no problem in receiving it. We can receive our dear Berlusconi channels but t'other side can't - poor loves!

There are, in fact, 2 small hills surrounding us that are blocking the signal.......strange, since we had no problem receiving BBC World News some while back. Oh well, that's the technical/digital age for us all.....

He tells me that the 'powers that are' are sorting all this out in time for the end of next year when Italy should be going fully digital. THEN everyone should, technically, be able to receive all the main digital channels regardless of where we all live.
Don Ciccio

Post by Don Ciccio »

pambon wrote: He tells me that the 'powers that are' are sorting all this out in time for the end of next year when Italy should be going fully digital. THEN everyone should, technically, be able to receive all the main digital channels regardless of where we all live.

:shock: Righhht.... if your end of Sicily is anything like our end of Sicily, what these powers that be mean by 'the end of next year' is 'once the transmitter locations are agreed and built'. And as we both know, getting Sicilian authorities to agree & build something quickly is like starting to build a cross-island motorway in 1975, and by 2010, still have not built the middle part....

Ciccio 'sighs'...
pambon

Post by pambon »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

(BTW we have RaiSport on digital channel 018!! I can understand that maybe due to location not everyone receives all the channels but I fail to understand why the numbers of channels are different from almost home to home. Surely the automatic downloading of digital channels should place them all on the same number setting for every TV?)
Don Ciccio

Post by Don Ciccio »

pambon wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

(BTW we have RaiSport on digital channel 018!! I can understand that maybe due to location not everyone receives all the channels but I fail to understand why the numbers of channels are different from almost home to home. Surely the automatic downloading of digital channels should place them all on the same number setting for every TV?)
Being the public broadcasters in Italy, RAI are the digital platform leaders. Given how Berlusconi is constantly trying to undermine RAI (Murdoch vs the BBC anyone?) it does not surprise me that many of his subscription channels are given consistent listing numbers whereas Rai and co are not.

THings aren't as clear cut in Italy or Sicily as perhaps the UK and there is a great degree of difference and competition between the way each region does things in Italy - particularly Sicily and Naples which have the influence of 'the criminal fraternities' to accommodate into their decisions too. Our town Trapani has spent 25 years trying to adopt its first local development plan, while Marsala along the coast is on its second in as many years. The channel numbering thing could easily be down to someone at the tv company doing a favour for a 'friend'...

When dealing with any italian legislation requirement remember George Orwell's quote : All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others...
pambon

Post by pambon »

Yep Don Ciccio, it's shame that these 'fraternities' have infiltrated the country at EVERY level. And each government that comes along says they will defeat the criminals....ha ha ha!

(Excuse thread creep pls!)
Don Ciccio

Post by Don Ciccio »

Well, I've done a bit of research and it seems:

HotBird 3 Satellite broadcasts:
That BBC Prime (now called BBC Entertainment)and BBC World are carried with a group of the Berlusconi Mediaset channels when broadcast to Europe via the HotBird3 Satellite (evenings only)... So I am wondering if it is carried with MediaSet signals on Italian DVB Terrestrial digital broadcasts? BT, yes, BT carry some of the streaming of the World Service radio broadcasts for relay to Hotbird 3 too.

Free to air Digital
As for free-to-air DVB broadcasts, BBC Entertainement is not shown, But BBC World is (just news & current affairs) (in Western Sicily at least (Just checked with my Dad on phone tonight). It may be down to the transmitter positions at your end of the island or it may be more complicated? Anyway, there is scope for lobbying Mediaset and Berlusconi to allow BBC Ents a platform on the entire DVB system now that Sky have dropped them - this could be a coup for Berlu against Media Corp (remembering that he is infact in competition with them (owning papers and channels himself)... There are facebook groups starting up on this and you might want to check
www.delymyth.net/blog/2010/3/2/sky-canc ... rentPage=2

Alternatively, to keep up with developments on Italian DVB TV progress and changes, visit
www.digitaleterrestre.it/
and
www.dgtvi.it/stat/DGTVi/Page1.html

or (Digital FreeSat Italia)
www.dfree.tv/
if you have the satellite version of Digital Terrestrial in Italy.

Oh, and I nearly forgot, a good blog on the subject of BBC being axed by Murdoch (I really don't like the guy and vow never ever to pay for Sky in my life - never have, never will)
http://trecancelle.wordpress.com/2010/0 ... alian-sky/

phew...

Ciccio
pambon

Post by pambon »

Wow Don Ciccio thanks for that!

Yes, the Facebook group "Bring Back BBC Entertainment" now numbers over 1000 members of which I'm one - (courtesy my son since I'm not registered). Also saw the other two you mentioned as they came up in a google search within days (hours?) of BBCE being axed by SI.

Our location here does not permit certain signals on digital TV from being received. The only way of being sure to receive BBCE would be to pay their annual sub - which is really nominal although that's the only channel worth watching on Astra at that particular position apart from rubbishy Eastern European programmes.

I've cancelled my sub with SI since all the other channels I occasionally watch are just repeats (as BBCE was too for much of the time except the medical dramas which I followed) with the current exceptions being Hallmark for 'Rosemary & Thyme' ('Lewis' comes on too late for my tired body!) and Animal Planet with the new series of 'Wildlife Aid'.

What all this means for me is going back to reading again!!