School auction requests rental donation

For topics that are specific to the USA, please go here.
paolo

School auction requests rental donation

Post by paolo »

I have had a request from someone organizing a school fundraiser auction in the US, she would like to hear from you if you would consider donating a week in your rental property. Here is the letter they send out to potential donors:
I am writing you on behalf of Our Lady Queen of Peace School. You are cordially invited to participate in a most worthy cause: “Lights, Camera, Auction,” our annual fundraising dinner Auction which will be held February 27, 2010. Our Lady Queen of Peace School’s largest fundraising event of the year attracts over 200 guests. Our school works very hard to provide a quality, value based education to its students and I hope we can count on you for a generous tax-deductible donation.

You may ask, "Why is this important to me"?

Investing in our children's future is paramount to the success of both our community and our country. Our program is comprehensive and focuses on the development of the whole child: spiritually, intellectually, and socially.

As a 501(C)(3) non-profit organization, all raised funds go directly into the school development account, helping to keep tuition rates affordable, enhance curriculum offered to our students, and to finance school improvements.

Your contribution is important to us and a benefit to your business. Your donation will be recognized several different ways:

 Listing on our school’s auction website
 Listing in our auction program
 Our parishioners and school families will be encouraged to patronize your business.
 Official Letter of Appreciation from our school asserting your company's involvement with our community.

I thank you for your time and consideration in helping us prepare tomorrow’s leaders! We look forward to whatever support you can provide, as your donation will ensure the success of this event and the continued success of Our Lady Queen of Peace School.

Sincerely,

Susan Fogarty
Auction Volunteer
(618) 567-3301
Email: susanf@ krhlawfirm.com

Mailing Address:
Susan Fogarty
QP Auction
61 Country Club Acres
Belleville, IL 62223

Auction Website: www.qofpauction.com

501(C)(3) Tax ID #37-0800354
Please contact Susan Fogarty direct on
susanf@ krhlawfirm.com (remove the space after the @ sign)
Tel: (+1) 618-567-3301
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I donated a three night break to SnowHeads ski forum, in exchange for some publicity on their small stand at the Birmingham Ski Show in 2008. Guests were arriving on the 8th Jan 2009 for 3 nights. They were such hard work. Wanted to stay extra nights, great, we had availability immediately afterwards, nope they wanted to stay before. No chance, we were booked (our own holiday, but already committed to travel arrangements). Sulks, find her another apartment for Jan 2nd onwards. Could they have a late departure and early access?
Then, no word of thanks, no mention on the forum, no entry in guestbook or anything. Not even an acknowledgement that I had returned her damage deposit (I was warned of her youth, so insisted on it).
It annoyed me more than usual, as it was immediately after hubby broke his neck, and I was trekking between resort and Grenoble (over a 2 hour drive in snow) , with a dodgy internet connection at the apartment, and trying to answer her queries at the same time. In the end I passed her over to my apartment manager to deal with. She didn't even thank M's hubby for the free ski coaching that had been thrown in with the prize.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

We donate a week a year to charity. In the past we've given to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and the Lupus Foundation, and we've made contact with the Make A Wish Foundation for next year.

We generally specify that the week must be between October and May (our lower season, though there are still some great weeks to be had), and no one has a problem with that.

We've had very good experiences with the guests who win the auctions.

I'm not sure we would donate to an individual school unless we had an actual connection to it, though.
Brooke
olive

Post by olive »

I donated a week to a US charity auction. The winners weren't at all like usual visitors: they showed no delight, no wish for any communication with us, no cleaning up or even tidying before leaving, and certainly no thanks. Yes, they had paid for it (not much) but we had, too - we were in it together - they clearly didn't think of that.
The following year the next winner wanted to bring more people than the property accommodates. I figure I don't need that hassle and I haven't done it since.
Maybe we were unlucky and Brooke's experience is more common.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Careful, Olive, anything posted here has to pass the censor; keep it happy-clappy.

MG
paolo

Post by paolo »

Mountain Goat wrote:anything posted here has to pass the censor; keep it happy-clappy.
Yes, that's right, if you think this thread about a charitable contribution is a good place for some USA-bashing, please don't bother posting.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
olive

Post by olive »

The only reason I wrote "US" was because the thread had been moved to US. I don't believe I've ever "US bashed" before and I didn't intend to then - sorry if it sounds like that. I LOVE our US (non-auction winning) visitors .
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Er, confusion, Olive - I had sinned earlier.

MG
A-two

Post by A-two »

This would appear to be a private school. For those not familiar with the education system in the US, everyone (including illegal immigrants) can sign up for the local state school FREE. These are called PUBLIC Schools, meaning anyone can join. They are also the BEST schools from an academic perspective and attract the BEST teachers.

It was only after I moved to the US that I realized the vast majority of kids in private school fall into two groups - those who can't make it in a public school, because they have "issues", and those whose parents want a strong religious component integrated with the academic curriculum.

Anyone who doesn't have a great State run school in their area, either sends their kids to a Religious School or home schools, either of which is accepted here. The third choice is to move area, which is how we arrived where we are today, the quality of the local public school being a major factor in our decision.

The conversation about separation of Church and State in US education is another whole conversation, but the short version is that Religion is not allowed to be taught in schools, hence so many religious parents send their kids to private Catholic Schools, which simply don't have the resources of the State Schools and therefore need to do a lot of fund raising, of which this would appear to be one. State Schools also need to do fundraising for after School Programs and Sports, which are generally not well funded by the local taxes, so basically, there isn't a school in the US that isn't constantly fundraising ALL the time.

Catholic Schools are generally regarded as giving excellent education and many non-Catholic parents put their kids into private Catholic Schools even if they aren't religious, simply for the quality of the education. However, make no mistake, this is not some inner city public (state school) that has kids from the projects (council houses), orphans and refugees. This is a fee paying private school and every one of the kids in it is entitled to transfer to the local State school FREE of charge. They are there BY CHOICE, and when they enrolled their little darling, they thought they could pay the fees without any great difficulty and do.

Therefore, it's likely that the above appeal is from a) a private Catholic School and b) a very good school and c) you're giving to the equivalent of a Public School in the UK. Only give to this if you would be happy to give to Eton. Now do you feel sorry for them?

Personally, I do not give to any private schools, and certainly I would never consider one that I was not connected with, either by location, family connection or by religion. I completely agree with Brooke.

Some of the negative feedback from those who have given to perhaps more worthy causes is also disquieting.
Waves from America
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

let's just say that, around here, the private schools can cost 30-40k/year per student...

Catholic is cheaper - $7,000.00/year plus you would be expected to donate to the parish (and, academically, it is not considered to be as good as the free, public schools)...

and there is one "cheap" co-op school where parents are expected to help out and work a certain number of hours that is "only" $14,700 for the lower grades and $15,700 for the upper.

As A-Two has pointed out, these are not free, public schools that are open to all and, honestly, you would be just as good to donate to your own church, IMHO. Also, important to point out for any ?Us owners that there can be tax implications - donations of a rental period are usually NOT allowed to be deducted as a charitable donation in your income taxes here in the US. A cash donation would be, so better off to right a check to a charity of your choice, IMHO.