selling with bookings

If you're buying or selling, tell others about it here. Or ask other owners for advice.
shamac

selling with bookings

Post by shamac »

If you sell your house with advance bookings do you have to do anymore than give a full refund of any monies taken and an apology? I'm thinking legally here. Thanks
The harder you work, the luckier you get.
Windy

Post by Windy »

As you have entered into a contract with the guest you could be on sticky ground but IANAL.

What do your Ts & Cs say?

We've been here before with a French property

viewtopic.php?t=9242&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
shamac

Post by shamac »

IANAL? Sorry not familiar with that. The link you posted doesn't seem to work. My t and cs are clear about a refund if the house is unavailable due to damage, etc but theres a small chance we may have to sell before the summer-anyone know what we need to state about thie eventuality? Thanks
The harder you work, the luckier you get.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Windy's link works for me.
I don't think it is fair to keep people hanging on as it will be more difficult for them to book somewhere else the closer it gets to your deciding when to sell. If you were in France you'd have to recompense considerably more than the deposit the clients have paid, but I don't know what the law is in the UK.
IANAL - I Am Not A Lawyer
ccazes

Post by ccazes »

The lady who owned our house before us had a clause in the T&Cs that if the house became unavailable under any circumstances, she reserved the right to cancel and reimburse 100%.
The house is in France. I don't know if this can stand up on a legal footing though.
Also when we bought the house, we delayed closing by a month so she could honour all her bookings but in France closing takes months and months anyway so that gave her some flexibility to not have to cancel.
Loopy Lou

Post by Loopy Lou »

If the property is sold as an on-going business, will not the new owners take on the bookings? I was thinking that, depending on the date of completion and dates of bookings, the deposits paid up-front would belong to the current owner to offset marketing costs and admin, and the balances would be paid to either old or new owner depending on ownership at the time of the guests' holidays. Am I wrong? Obviously, guests would be informed of change of ownership, but essentially their holiday should not be affected.
Louise
www.lacharronniere.com delightful gites in the Vienne countryside.