Christmas in Costa de la Luz

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
Nightowl

Christmas in Costa de la Luz

Post by Nightowl »

Sorry if this comes up twice, I did one post and it disappeared and doesn't seem to have been saved but apologies if I've managed to duplicate:

I'm trying to find out what Christmas is like in the Barossa, Novo Sancti Petri/Chiclana area. I've had an enquiry for 22 Dec to 5 Jan and I said I'd find out what is happening. WE haven't been there over the Christmas period ourselves. I'm assuming that some of the hotels open up for Christmas and that there will be restaurants open, albeit not all of them. Can anyone confirm this? What about Brown's bar, Nico's, La Jarre or the Bongo or Too Much clubs? Will they be likely to be open? And I wondered if Chiclana might be generally open for business as it has a permanent local population. Any recommendations there? I just want to be able to give my guests a few tips for places where they can go, I know it's a bit limited in the quiet season. I'm assuming the Novo Sancti Petri golf club would be open. for some of the time.. can anyone confirm this? Any recommendations for Christmas day? I'd be particularly interested if there are any special events, ferias, processions etc.

Any info gratefully received. Thanks
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
Garri

Post by Garri »

We've been to the region, Andalucia, for the past 3 Christmasses and New Years, though not to the 'other' side - La Luz.

It's pretty dead, most of the restaraunts and some of the bars are closed, there's not so many people but that's why we like it!

Though there's plenty of other things to do and see and one can easily get to Morocco - advisable if you're there for 3 weeks as we sometimes have been.
LaLuz

Post by LaLuz »

Hi Knightowl,

I'll be interested in your replies as we have a house near Novo.

I understand that most restaurants are closed on the main days, Xmas Eve/Day and New Years Eve but I've never been at that time so I can't confirm that.
Garri

Post by Garri »

I understand that most restaurants are closed on the main days, Xmas Eve/Day and New Years Eve
Quite a number seem to be closed during the period, not just those days.
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

Well, been doing a bit of research. LaLuz was interested in knowing too, so: as far as hotels are concerned, most are closed at the end of October but the Hotel Vincci and the Iberostar Andalucia Playa are open all year round and I think both of these are happy for outsiders to come in and use their bars, at least, if not their restaurants. We have used the bar in the Andalucia Playa, it's a very swish hotel. Also has a hotspot for anyone who has a blackberry.....

I also found a good website trafalgarferia.com which had all sorts of Conil restaurants in it, many of which it says are open during winter time, mostly seem to be along the area by Fontanilla beach.

I also found out that there is a bike hire place in the basement area of the Iberostar which is open in the winter months too, cycling will be nice at that time of year, not too hot.

I know of one bar, the Jarre Golf at NSP which is normally open when everything else is closed, it's the one that all the spanish congregate in to watch the widescreen TV, I like the atmosphere there, and it sells a really good beer selection, so I'm hoping that will be open during Christmas too.

So I've partly answered my own question but I'm going to keep looking and would still be grateful for any other info anyone has...
Nightowl
backwards......
accommodation-in-spain

Post by accommodation-in-spain »

We have had several guests stay for Christmas before and they seem to have a great time. I remember one couple commenting on how they enjoyed having tapas on Christmas day in Cadiz.

La Barrosa and the surrounding area is a great base as it is so easy to access wonderful locations in the Luz from there (as you know as you have a place out there). I am sure that your guests will find something to do and enjoy exploring the area.

Any more news would be greatly appreciated as we are also thinking of going out to our apartment for Christmas and have not managed to get out there other years for Christmas.
www.Costa-Luz-Holiday.com - your on-line holiday brochure for the Costa de la Luz
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

Thanks for that - it's nice to know that people do enjoy Christmas in the area. I feel that I do need to give people a few definite places that they will find open rather than just leaving them to it, as I know it will be quiet at that time of year and you have to be a bit more 'in the know'. So your info about Cadiz tapas is also good news.

We are in our first year of owning the house - only had it since November 2004 and it's been a whirlwind but we've enjoyed it, helped by the fact that we have had good support from our keyholder who lives in the area. But we are still finding out what's on where at various times of the year etc.

Actually, one person - booked for October - has asked if there is an Indian restaurant anywhere around. They are vegetarian and do like a curry. I wondered if Chiclana might have one or maybe Barossa? I know it's not 'Brits abroad' in the area, which is why everyone likes it but I said I'd find out if I could....Also if anyone knows of any veggie restaurants or any with a good vegetarian selection that would be useful.

thanks

Knightowl
Nightowl
backwards......
LaLuz

Post by LaLuz »

Hi Knightowl,

There is actually an Indian restaurant in the Novo Centre, it's upstairs in the far courtyard, actually above Banca Marche, although access is round the other side.

My husband and son went when they were last there and said it was very good, I think it was closed Tuesdays but can't be absolutely sure.

As far as other Vegetarian restaurants go I'm not sure there are any. I was there with a vergetarian friend earlier in the year and it was very difficult. She doesn't eat fish or eggs which left us with Italian food only.

I thing vegetarianism is an alien concept to the Spanish in general. When I asked for a salad without fish or meat we got one covered in Tuna! Vegetable soup had ham in it too!

Of course some "vegetarians" do eat fish and if they do, well, the choice of good restaurants in the area is seemingly endless.

Hope this helps
LaLuz
PS re: (from a post elsewhere) the Lemon Tree Turn right at the Mercodona roundabout, and it's on the right just before the next roundabout. It serves typically british bar food it's not my cup of tea but has a play area for kids, opens quite early and is actually a mine of useful information in English. It also has cards for many of the businesses run by ex-pats in the area.
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

Thankyou. I'm a bit partial to curry so will give the Indian a try and my guests will be very pleased.. although they are there at the beginning of October and we are there at the end of October so depends if it stays open til October or closes after the summer.

I know it's difficult to get purely vegetarian options in spain. Never mind, they said they are happy to cook their own stuff anyway, I think they are aware the options might be limited but I said I'd try and find out.
Nightowl
backwards......
LaLuz

Post by LaLuz »

Don't know if this is still relevant but thought I'd try.

Just flicking through my new copy of laluz magazine and there's a small item on restaurants who are taking bookings for Xmas and New Year.

In Chiclana there's the Lemon Tree 956 53 66 07

Dolce Vita 956 40 60 05

and los faroles is having a Fancy Dress Ball on New Years Eve 956 49 30 01
Last edited by LaLuz on Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

LaLuz
Thanks for those numbers - particularly La Dolce Vitae which had been recommended but I couldn't seem to get their number....

Knightowl
Nightowl
backwards......