Overseas government staff needing to return to the UK

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
Nuthatch

Overseas government staff needing to return to the UK

Post by Nuthatch »

I have a repeat guest, currently working for the UK government overseas, who needs to return to the UK with a vulnerable family member. They will therefore be occupying our holiday accommodation for the next few weeks/months whilst we are empty due to cancellations. Their own property in the UK is tenanted on a long term basis as they were contracted to be overseas for some time.

I know there are AST issues with holiday lets of over 28 days (we have other tenanted properties) and potentially insurance/business rates issues that I will also address.

However, my guest is aware of other families in a similar position, working for the UK government overseas (some with key worker status), who are keen to return to the UK for the next few weeks/months but likewise have nowhere to stay as their own properties are rented.

If you would like me to pass details of your accommodation on to my guest to circulate amongst his colleagues then please let me know. It's difficult to know what to do for the best in this situation - there are obviously issues around people travelling (some will be travelling on military transport to avoid airports and reduce contact as much as possible) and also potentially increasing the burden on local resources - but it might also be a lifeline for a potentially vulnerable family as flights may be stopped within a few days.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions too.