Homeaway Requesting Review from Guest

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
SPJ

Homeaway Requesting Review from Guest

Post by SPJ »

Our first visitors have just left and I would like them to post a review on Homeaway. They came to me directly, so are not part of the HA system. In the past I have still be able to ask such guests to put a review on HA.

Is this no longer the case? Is it now only possible for HA guests to provide a review? I've tried to find info via their help pages but am struggling, so if someone knows the answer I'd be grateful. Thanks.
Bree

Post by Bree »

Yes that is correct guests can only post a review if they booked through HomeAway and there is a time limit, I think 30 days or approx.
Holiday Lettings / TA allow you to gather reviews from guests that book direct you can send them a link.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Bree wrote: Holiday Lettings / TA allow you to gather reviews from guests that book direct you can send them a link.
Yes that is the way to do it. Don't post your guest's email address on the TA review system as this is not allowed under GDPR unless you have got your guest's permission to do so.
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Thanks for your confirmation of what I feared! I can understand why since there is now an industry writing spurious reviews all over the internet, but it's a shame. Returning guests do not need to go via any booking platform and yet are also likely to be the most positive, giving good ratings and positive comments which are good for both the platform (we have quality gites) and the owner.
In this case in fact they came via Brittany Ferries (who also control the review process) so at least I'll have a review there.
This further detaches me from HA. If they won't let me use their review system for my non HA guests then it's one less reason to renew with them.
At the moment I'm not on TA. Is there any reason to be so?
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

SPJ wrote: This further detaches me from HA. If they won't let me use their review system for my non HA guests then it's one less reason to renew with them.
If you are getting lots of guests from HA, then you'll have enough reviews from HA guests that you won't need any more. If you aren't getting many guests from HA then you'll be better off going via the Pay per Book anyway.
Bree

Post by Bree »

Thanks Newtimer for GDPR guidelines.. I have only sent to one who missed the review period on HA..

I have just looked at HomeAway and it is only 14 days if review is submitted by either owner or guest. Guests have told me "it was too late to write a review" I had not checked this before now...
"Both you and the property owner have 14 days to write your review once a review is submitted by either party."

It is 1 year if 14 day review not initiated by either party.

Thanks for bringing this topic up I wouldn't have looked at it otherwise :)
lolita

Homeaway reviews

Post by lolita »

Even thoughguests came from a different source, if you input their name as a reservation on Homeaway system then yes they can post a review but you need to do one first on them. That's what I always do.
greenbarn

Re: Homeaway reviews

Post by greenbarn »

lolita wrote:Even thoughguests came from a different source, if you input their name as a reservation on Homeaway system then yes they can post a review but you need to do one first on them. That's what I always do.
You’d need to be very clear on why you were sharing their names with HA, what HA might do with the information, and have the guests’ express permission to do so.
Vector

Post by Vector »

SPJ wrote:Thanks for your confirmation of what I feared! I can understand why since there is now an industry writing spurious reviews all over the internet, but it's a shame. Returning guests do not need to go via any booking platform and yet are also likely to be the most positive, giving good ratings and positive comments which are good for both the platform (we have quality gites) and the owner.
In this case in fact they came via Brittany Ferries (who also control the review process) so at least I'll have a review there.
This further detaches me from HA. If they won't let me use their review system for my non HA guests then it's one less reason to renew with them.
At the moment I'm not on TA. Is there any reason to be so?
I cannot speak for over in Europe, but TA here in America is probably the 2nd best source for rental inquiries after HA/VRBO.

As to reviews, HA/VRBO actively solicits reviews whenever your guest leaves. Frankly I think they re overlay aggressive with at least 3 requests within the first two weeks upon departure.
It also makes sense they will not allow unverified reviews as people can trash your reviews or some people create fake positive reviews for themselves.
b_javea

Re: Homeaway reviews

Post by b_javea »

lolita wrote:Even thoughguests came from a different source, if you input their name as a reservation on Homeaway system then yes they can post a review but you need to do one first on them. That's what I always do.
This option's now gone, unfortunately (it's what I used to do). Only people who have booked through HA can now leave a review they told me. This is a very recent move (possibly last 2 weeks or so).
petitbois

Post by petitbois »

encourage guests to write review on trip advisor, most people will look on there first, plus it is a way to remind guests to book direct, thereby saving commission charges
Vector

Post by Vector »

petitbois wrote:encourage guests to write review on trip advisor, most people will look on there first, plus it is a way to remind guests to book direct, thereby saving commission charges
Hasn't TA started the same VRBO/HA thing (over across the pond as in America), by going to a commission based business model?
Over here if you started with TA or one of their other platforms (Flipkey, Vacation Home Rentals, etc.) and never dropped their subscription, you can continue on with that model. However I think all new people wanting to join them are forced to go with the commission based model.

As to reviews, I have 5 times more on VRBO than TA, mainly due to volume and those guests seemingly more interested in leaving reviews.