Feather bedding and cushions

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Joffan

Feather bedding and cushions

Post by Joffan »

We have invested in top quality feather duvets, pillows and cushions throughout and we love them. However, current guests have complained that some of the group have allergies and are reacting to the bedding.

Is the onus on me to mention the feather bedding on all my ads or is the onus on the guests to ask when making an enquiry. (I don't think that guests read the ads anyhow but that is another issue)!

We couldn't have 2 sets of bedding we already have a major space issue with trying to store summer weight and winter weight duvets.
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

I started out (20 years ago) with some feather duvets and pillows and occasionally it was a problem and I had to provide an alternative.

Now, I wouldn't dream of having anything feather on the beds as so many more people seem to have allergies.

I think the onus would be on you to specify that the bedding has feather content in the same way that food manufacturers and suppliers, restaurants etc. have to say that there are nuts or whatever else someone may have an allergy to.
Circé

Post by Circé »

We manage only one house which has some feather pillows and cushions, and at the request of guests a few years ago (they raised the issue before they arrived) the owner bought more synthetic pillows. We now only put out synthetic pillows for guests and keep the feather pillows locked up for the owner's use. Feather cushions are removed upon request.
I would expect visitors to raise the issue of allergies when they book, not leave it until they arrive - but that's being too logical for a lot of holidaymakers IMHO!
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I have the opposite view to Gillian. I don't feel I can be everyone's nanny. I do say in my ad that the linen is cotton and the duvets and pillows are feathers and down. I don't say that practically every cushion in the place ( including one whole sofa) is also feathers and down. I think it is up to those with allergies to read and ask if unsure. I recently had a family who had told me, off their own bat, that they were allergic to gluten and to pollen. So I didn't leave any flowers in the house ( although I did wonder why on earth they were coming to a pollen filled Cotswolds in summer...). I had a 'nanny' moment a week before and double checked they were not allergic to feathers. They said, no they were fine with that. Then, two or three days before they came, after I had done ALL the washing and ironing for the week, they emailed and said they were allergic to perfumes so could I please wash all the bedding in non-perfumed washing stuff. I am afraid, I said no, sorry. It was too late. I did not have the time to do that but I reassured them that I didn't use conditioner or highly perfumed washing liquid or powder ( although I told them do use biological stuff). I pointed out that they had every opportunity to tell me in good time and the moment when I asked about feathers would have been a good time to tell me. I said they were welcome to use the washing machine themselves if the bedding was a problem. They accepted that and were actually fine, apparently.

I think there is only so much you can do. But no harm to mention feathers on your ad. Will they read? You have done all you can. People have got to take responsibility for themselves.
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

I wasn't suggesting you should make a big thing of saying feather etc. but just that it should be mentioned in your advertising somewhere. The onus on someone with allergies is to ask as there are so many different allergies: dog hair, cat hair, feathers, nuts, gluten, lactose etc. etc. etc.

The printing on some products which says "May Contain Nuts" is very, very small and requires the person with an allergy to find it ..................
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

GillianF wrote: The printing on some products which says "May Contain Nuts" is very, very small and requires the person with an allergy to find it ..................
I've got some stickers with "Warning! May contain nuts!" printed on them. So far I've failed to catch a single red squirrel to stick one on, so guests will just have to fend for themselves. There's only so much you can do.... :?
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

I think, as so many people have allergies to feathers (or in the case of somebody I used to work with, an absolute total fear of feathers, whether still on the bird or not :shock: ), that you should make mention in your advert, in a positive way, that your duvets and pillows are feather-filled (a touch of luxury?). Then it is up to the prospective guest to enquire about the availability of non-feather alternatives if they are allergic.

I do feel that it is incumbent upon the person with the allergy (or even a very strong dislike) to mention it well in advance of arrival, to avoid the risk of an upset.
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Yes, I agree, PW - as usual, knowledge is power! We choose not to have feather duvets or pillows as so many people are allergic - I know some places offer a choice of feather or non-feather but I can't honestly see the point of that.

What we do have, though, is a specific section on our website called 'Allergies' where we give allergy information about all sorts of things, not just about feathers. It's on a page called 'Getting it right', which aims to make sure people have enough background information about lots of things, and it's designed to make sure they book the right place for them - and particularly don't book the wrong place for them!
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

To add another dimension to the discussion, take a look at Out of Eden's down and feather pillows that are "suitable for allergy sufferers".

http://www.outofeden.co.uk/products/266 ... tel-pillow
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Agree with the others who say mention it on your advert but don't be overly concerned as it is up to allergy sufferers to ask.

In my bid to offer as much as possible I bought anti allergy pillows from The White Co and offerd them on my advert. In 13 years I was asked twice.
Never have I been asked in any of the other villas.

If someone has a severe reaction type allergy then they can book elsewhere if it's something you can't provide.

I think as owners we sometimes worry too much.

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Mouse wrote: I think as owners we sometimes worry too much.
x
Absolutely, Mousie. Our job isn't to provide everything anybody could ever want, but to decide what we can and want to provide and then make sure that we give proper information to people before booking.

With my renter's hat on, I have to say that lack of easily available, detailed information is my absolute bugbear when I'm looking to book somewhere :roll:
limousin-cottage

Post by limousin-cottage »

I provide both - the guests can choose which one they prefer. Seems to work.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

I'm not sure I agree with the general consensus here - feather pillows and duvets are pretty uncommon in the hospitality industry now, and I don't think guests would even think that a rental would have them. I certainly wouldn't, and neither would my sister who is allergic to feathers. The last time she was caught out with bedding was on a cross channel ferry in the late 70s (I've no idea why I remember that incident, other than that my sister had a spectacular rash on one side if her face!). My sister who, in common with most people with feather allergies, is allergic to pets and therefore always books pet free accommodation... perhaps if you're pet free, that should include being feather free? The issue tends to be with bedding as it's in close contact with the skin - the odd feather pillow on a sofa isn't going to cause any problems.

Incidentally, I can't stand feather bedding. I'm not allergic to it but I hate the feel of it (pillows have no support and duvets are far too hot) that I would be very disappointed to find them in a place I'd rented. I suspect I'm in the minority, but on the other hand, I've never heard anyone complaining about synthetic bedding.
Joffan

Post by Joffan »

Thank you everyone for the great feedback, I am not able to answer the replies at the moment but appreciate all the info.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

I have all feather quilts but a mixture of pillows. In ten years I've only had one set of guests request non feather due to an allergy, so I do have spare synthetic quilts. I've also never had any complaints. I've also never mentioned on my website that the quilts are feather as I had assumed that a guest would raise it if it were a specific concern. I feel another amendment to my website coming on.....