Sofa recommendations (UK)? IKEA Ektorp??

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
rosebud

Sofa recommendations (UK)? IKEA Ektorp??

Post by rosebud »

I am thinking of buying an IKEA Ektorp 2 seater sofa. Is this a good idea? Do people have good experiences with this??

After 4 and a bit years think I should replace the IKEA Hagalund Sofa Bed. Guests at my cottage for a long stay - 13 weeks - have just complained about it .. 2 sets of guests had complained in 2011 but no one since!

Have to say I don't find it super comfortable but for me it's okay ....

I plan to have a standard sofa as the sofa bed has only been used once or twice - when 3 single people stayed.
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

I have a couple of 3 seater Ektorps. No problems. They've lasted well. I find them comfortable enough. Buy a spare set of covers so you can change and wash them. They wash well, but are a bit fiddly to get back on.

They do tend to change the colours of the covers every so often, so if you have a pair of sofas and you need an extra cover you may have to get an extra 2 to match if they've stopped the colour you had.
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

We have a pair of 2 seater ektorp sofas in one cottage and they've been ok for about 3 years. We've got 3 sets of covers and I wish I'd bought 4 because they've discontinued the fabric. When they get dirty I can just swap on a clean cover and take the dirty ones home to sort out later. Only problem is the ones I've washed more have faded slightly so some cushions are starting to look slightly paler than the others. Probably not something a guest would notice yet but I can see they're going to need replacing in a while.

One benefit of IKEA sofas is that other companies also make covers for them (Bemz, Ikuva, comfort works) so if you don't like the current IKEA covers you do have other options.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Likewise, we have got an ektorp sofa in one if the gites and are pleased with it. When we have to replace the sofas in the other gites we will go for ektorp again. The good thing is they have been around for years and even if they don't do the same fabric you can still get new covers to fit.
gh

Post by gh »

Ditto ektorp, had our 2x3 sweaters going on eight years. Got 3 sets off covers can be hot washed come up like new no fading as yet.
Zur Alten Weinkelter

Post by Zur Alten Weinkelter »

Ditto
I have ektorp sofas in 3 of my apartments ( the 2 seater version) for the past 3 years and yes it is a good idea to purchase extra covers ... Ok they work out a bit expensive but better than having to buy a new sofa ,but check which cover you choose as some you can wash in a standard machine and some are dry clean only so check the labels first
But overal they are comfortable and serviceable for rental properties
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Went with them on LMH recommendations and pleased with them. Someone had a leaky pen which left a large round black stain but the cushion came up as good as new after a hurl around in the washer.

Good to know there are other options for patterns as well as Ikea's - thanks folks!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I have them in all my gites, as long as they aren't used as an indoor trampoline they are fine. Easy to remove and wash covers. The only thing I don't like is the ton of feathers which come off the cushions every time I take the covers off, but they hoover up pretty quickly.
cysgod y coed

Post by cysgod y coed »

They also do an Ectorp bed settee.
If you can keep your head when all around you are panicking.......you have probably not seen the whole picture.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Sadly, I think they discontinued the Ektorp sofa bed.
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

Many thanks everyone ....
I will be going for Ektorp ... with a spare cover or 2 or 3
Not sure I need a sofa bed